18th Airborne Division Operation Fortitude Phantom

TheGoose

I know the division, but can anyone tell me if it is real or fake?  I am almost certain that the blue Airborne tab is incorrect.  What would Airborne division would the tab belong to?

IMG_5969.jpg.5838fc839d41662c7cc8dbb1e06523d6.jpgIMG_5970.jpg.86a90dea612fae4a383b7f5b61071f80.jpg

The tab is too narrow for this patch. Also, most 18th Abn Div patches are illustrated with a black and gold  tab. The only WW 2 abn div w/ authorized blue and white tab is the 82nd, but your tab appears to be too narrow for the 82nd,.

This narrower tab might be paired with any number of  post airborne units that did not have separate (or unauthorized) patches during the war. Examples are the 2nd Abn Bde (usually blk and gold), the 511th AIR,  100th Abn Div,  whatever the abn bde was for the 8th ID, and perhaps other patches which had airborne-Q personnel attached to them. 

10 minutes ago, tredhed2 said:

The tab is too narrow for this patch. Also, most 18th Abn Div patches are illustrated with a black and gold  tab. The only WW 2 abn div w/ authorized blue and white tab is the 82nd, but your tab appears to be too narrow for the 82nd,.

This narrower tab might be paired with any number of  post airborne units that did not have separate (or unauthorized) patches during the war. Examples are the 2nd Abn Bde (usually blk and gold), the 511th AIR,  100th Abn Div,  whatever the abn bde was for the 8th ID, and perhaps other patches which had airborne-Q personnel attached to them. 

What about the 11th and XVIII  both of those had

blue tabs

13 minutes ago, tredhed2 said:

Is the patch itself original?

• 9 months later...

GOOD MORNING GOOSE

THE PATCH IN QUESTION 18TH A/B IS A WW2 ERA PATCH.( AND THE TAB IS INCORRECT)

IN 1942-44 BEFORE D-DAY, A DECEPTION PLAN NAMED OPERATION FORTITUDE

WAS BEGUN, THE OBJECT WAS TO DECIEVE THE GERMANS WHERE THE INVASION WOULD BE.

THERE WERE 2 PLANS ONE BY THE BRITS AND ONE BY U.S.,

THE US COMPONENT USED GEN. PATTON AS COMMANDER OF FUSAG (FIRST U.S.ARMY GP.)

22 NOTONAL ARMY'S, CORPS, AND DIVISIONS WERE CREATED, LARGE GROUPS OF MEN WEARING

A VERITY  OF THESE PATCHES WERE TOLD TO BE SEEN ALL OVER ENGLAND, THEY WANTED THE

GERMANS TO THINK  THE ALLIES HAD MORE TROOPS THEN WE ACTUALLY DID.

IN ADDITION FALSE RADIO TRAFIC , TROOP MOVEMENT , AND FALSE INVASIONS WERE EXECUTED.

HOPE THIS INFO HELPS.

AHR

3 hours ago, AHR said:

GOOD MORNING GOOSE

THE PATCH IN QUESTION 18TH A/B IS A WW2 ERA PATCH.( AND THE TAB IS INCORRECT)

IN 1942-44 BEFORE D-DAY, A DECEPTION PLAN NAMED OPERATION FORTITUDE

WAS BEGUN, THE OBJECT WAS TO DECIEVE THE GERMANS WHERE THE INVASION WOULD BE.

THERE WERE 2 PLANS ONE BY THE BRITS AND ONE BY U.S.,

THE US COMPONENT USED GEN. PATTON AS COMMANDER OF FUSAG (FIRST U.S.ARMY GP.)

22 NOTONAL ARMY'S, CORPS, AND DIVISIONS WERE CREATED, LARGE GROUPS OF MEN WEARING

A VERITY  OF THESE PATCHES WERE TOLD TO BE SEEN ALL OVER ENGLAND, THEY WANTED THE

GERMANS TO THINK  THE ALLIES HAD MORE TROOPS THEN WE ACTUALLY DID.

IN ADDITION FALSE RADIO TRAFIC , TROOP MOVEMENT , AND FALSE INVASIONS WERE EXECUTED.

HOPE THIS INFO HELPS.

AHR

Thanks!  Is the tab WWII era?  Would it be correct to pair it with an 82nd AB patch?

THE TAB LOOKS OK TO ME, I HAVE MANY ON MY A/B DISPLAY

IT SHOULD LOOK OK ABOVE A 82ND PATCH, 

DATE WISE FOR TAB I WOULD SAY IT 'S PROBLEY LATE 40'S TO EARLY 60'S

AHR

• 2 years later...

HELLO ALL

HERE ARE THE A / B NAMED PATCHES FOR OPERATION FORTITUDE.

I GOT MY PATCHES YEARS AGO FROM BILL WISS AUCTIONS

ALL MY PATCHES HAVE BLK AND GOLD A/B TABS

HOPE THIS HELPS

AHR

IMG_1909.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...