Philippine Insurrection Silver Star + to Gen. Edward King

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

I love these early grouos!

Edward Leonard King, born 1873 in Massachusetts graduated from the U.S. Military Academy on 1896, having proven himself a star football player.  Commissioned, he served in the Philippines and earned the Silver Star fighting the Insurrectionists. Fred Borch in his publication on the Silver Star, noted only 579 Silver Stars were  earned in the Philippine Insurrection. In July 1916 he was promoted to Major of the cavalry, and in WWI to Colonel and Chief of Staff of the 28th Infantry Division,. He arrived in Europe in May 1918 and promoted to the rank of Brigadier General in June 1918. He participated in the Marne offensive in July 1918, and commanded the 65th Infantry Brigade in the battles of the Somme and Meuse-Argonne.
His group includes his officially hand engraved Silver Star with low edge number 213, his Philippine Insurrection medal No.3032, Cuban Occupation medal No.3250, Spanish War Service medal 1722, a five clasp WWI Victory Medal, French Legion of Honour, and Croix de Guerre. King earned the Distinguished Service Cross and Distinguished Service Medal in World War I.Included is an early pinback DSC/DSM ribbon bar. I believe those two medals are in another collector hands.

* The decorations are all complete with devices where correct and clean original ribbons. But no broaches and it appears these were bar mounted at some point.

King1.jpg

King2.jpg

King5.jpg

King4.jpg

King6.jpg

King8.jpg

King7.jpg

Brian Dentino

Great grouping Andrew.  These early attributed groups amaze me that after well over 100 years they remain together.  Very nice medal group.

wartimecollectables.com

Thanks! Very tempting to but the bars back together,easy to do. But probably not a long term keeper as I TRY and focus on Civil War!