2nd Rhode Island Vols. Vet's badge

cylekostello

This medal is for veterans of the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteer Regiment. It was clearly worn often and with pride by the owner, as the ribbon is frayed and shows signs of repair. The medal was struck in the shape of the 6th Corps (Army of the Potomac) Badge.

The 2nd RI served for the entire war, from Bull Run to Appomattox. By the end of the war the regiment had suffered 120 KIA/DOW and 76 deaths of disease. A heavy toll for such a small state. The regiments battle honors were: First Bull Run Salem Heights, Petersburg, Yorktown, Gettysburg, Fort Stevens, Williamsburg, Rappahannock Station, Opequan, Malvern Hill, Wilderness, Hatcher's Run, Antietam, Spottsylvania, Sailors' Creek, Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor, Appomattox, Marye's Heights

The regiment featured prominently in Ken Burns’ Civil War. Notably with the memoirs of Elisha Hunt Rhodes and the famous Sullivan Ballou letter.

IMG_1618.jpg

• 5 months later...

I think a relative of mine was one of the 76 deaths from sickness. His name was Enos Farrow I believe he died in a hospital in Maryland from some fever.

• 1 month later...
cylekostello
On 4/14/2021 at 8:23 PM, josesharontraders said:

Very nice. Do you still have this badge and would you sell it to another collector?

Ah sorry! Another collector beat you to the punch a few weeks ago

• 1 month later...
josesharontraders

Thanks anyway. Give me a holler if you have more Battle of Antietam stuff, Sir. 

jose