We have nearly completed our 1917 Ambulance

ScottG

Michigan's Military Heritage Museum has come to the finishing stages of our 1917 Ford Model T Ambulance restoration. This has been a 3 year project that started with an idea and a lot of research and computer design. Help was given by other collectors as well as the Henry Ford Museum Benson Ford Library Archives and of course our dedicated donors and volunteers. The ambulance is a true 1917 chassis and motor that has been rebuilt completely so it looks almost factory new!

All thats left are some accessories such as the spare tire and tools which we have. We also have a set of flags and the three stretchers to go with it. While it won't see much in the way of public events this year, we hope to have it out and about next year if all of this Covid madness dies down. Hope you all enjoy the article!    Scott

https://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/2020/08/museum-restores-1917-ford-model-t-into-world-war-i-ambulance.html?fbclid=IwAR1A7XqfGQU4mv7PDcehLXw-GrAeLRYle7tMTcFiuJfyZfQbwzhZCb_xfhs

ambulance stones.jpg

ambulance. 2 jpg.jpg

ambulance. 3jpg.jpg

ambulance. 4jpg.jpg

Amazing work! The ambulance looks bigger when it is pictured by itself. In the picture with you standing next to it, the scale is easier to see. I did not realize how small the were.

...Kat

Yes, they are pretty small at about 15 feet long and 6 feet tall. Room for 3 litters in the back with one suspended on straps above the other two. Weighs about 1800 lbs. Thanks for the kind words!   Scott

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 11:41 PM, gwb123 said:

Great job!  Do you have any "before" photos?

Here are a couple of before photos. I will take a few pics at the museum today and try to get them on here. Still some more detail work to do. One of our volunteers that is working on the tools, tire pump, accy's etc... just had back surgery. That aside, since we are in the prison State of Michigan, there really isn't a hurry as we can't have any events or shows....Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Scott

model t.jpg

model t 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who spent 20 years doing auto restorations as a career and now over 20 years as a hobby, I can appreciate the hard work involved here. What most people may not know is that these old Fords have sheet metal with the thickness of boiler plate. Extremely hard to work with and nothing like more modern vehicles. Incredible work by all involved un this very worthy project.

Beautiful, High Quality work! I can't imagine the thousands of hours involved. I guess I can't help myself but to "pick-nits", since it was originally a car, I think it would have to be properly called a replica of the ambulance. 

Congratulations on the excellent results!

Thanks for posting the great photos.

BKW

4 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

Beautiful, High Quality work! I can't imagine the thousands of hours involved. I guess I can't help myself but to "pick-nits", since it was originally a car, I think it would have to be properly called a replica of the ambulance. 

Congratulations on the excellent results!

Thanks for posting the great photos.

BKW

No worries on the replica moniker though I should point out that Ford made no ambulances in 1917. All were merely chassis and the "box" was added by the troops in France when the frames arrived. In 1918 Ford standardized and ambulance that was slightly larger and factory built.  Scott