Chocolate chip 6-color desert boonie in "Firewalker" from 1986

MattS

Terrible movie, but I had to take a screen shot because I don't remember seeing 6-color desert boonies anywhere prior to Desert Storm. I know they were developed and existed in the 80s, but this might be the first appearance of one in a film.

Freeze frame from about 2 minutes and 36 seconds in when Chuck Norris and Lou Gossett Jr. are captured. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091055/

firewalker.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

6 color DBDU was commonly issued to troops deploying to the MFO (Multinational Force Observer) duty in the Sinai Peninsula going all the way back to the early 1980's (( think the first rotation was in 81.)  

The reason they aren't commonly seen is because they were always "organizational issue" items that were issued to troops just before they deployed and had to be turned in as soon as the units returned from OCONUS.  So you rarely (if ever) saw them in garrison.  

I believe 1981 was the earlier production run of DBDUs for Bright Star and the MFO. That makes sense about being organizational issue items, and then they weren't widely produced and issued until 1990. But this is the earliest movie appearance of a DBDU boonie that I can recall seeing. There weren't many floating around back then and I don't think there were commercial copies yet, so it makes me wonder about this one. I guess a MFO vet snuck it home.