10th Corps Badge of Benjamin Seaward 48th N.Y.V.I.

skypilot6670

Twenty three year old British emigrant Benjamin Seaward was commissioned 1st Lieutenant on October 13 , 1861 in Co. D 17th N.Y.V.I. , he resigned that commission on January 8 , 1862 . The reason for his resignation remains a mystery , however 10 months later he enlisted as a private in Co.K 48th N.Y.V.I. known as the “Continental Guard”,a Brooklyn N.Y. Unit. 
    The 48th was active in operations against Fort Pulaski and other costal operations. In June of 1863 it was attached to Strong’s Brigade 10th Corps and moved to Hilton Head .The 48th was later moved to the barrier islands near Charleston Harbor S.C. and participated in the assault against Fort Wagner (along with the 54th Mass.of the movie “Glory “ fame) the regiment suffered 242 killed , wounded and missing in this battle. Corporal Seaward was wounded thru both thighs and captured. He was immediately paroled and sent to hospital in Hilton Head S.C. He spent two months there .He was promoted to Sergeant on November 4, 1863 and returned to his unit at St.Augustine Fl. He then participated in the battle of Olustee Fl. where the 48th suffered 44 killed , wounded and missing. They retired to Jacksonville and then moved up river to Palatka till April when they were transferred to Bermuda Hundred. The unit was engaged in various fights at Petersburg including the explosion of the mine.

Corporal Seaward was promoted brevet second lieutenant on May 26,1864 then on June 23,1864 promoted to Sgt. Major.  On September 14,1864 he was commissioned First Lieutenant. Two days later Lieutenant Seaward was wounded twice in the battle at Strawberry Plains , once in the hand and once in the side. Still Lt.Seaward continued in service and was promoted to Captain on August 22 , 1865 for ,”Gallant and Meritorious Service “ at Fort Fisher.  
       Postwar Benjamin Seaward returned to his native England . Records show him passing away on February 16,1930 in Brighton England.

Photos of Battery Wagner , Library of Congress . 

6122A602-7113-4547-8379-74BFA6C107EB.png.246988518f3fecba529ba3ec8dc322ee.png30DA6015-C80C-489C-8730-208A5CA0556B.jpeg.99ee390cca760c5bdfafecc0b3f9aca7.jpeg16D3A0DE-6CC4-4F76-BCB6-66256C8465E3.png.0a2d40e949eae40f97979206af8011b7.png2BF6F602-7A02-473F-8A9E-513A3E541537.jpeg.55de96ba2756a911002da9c55b2c3364.jpeg

wartimecollectables.com

Superb badge! His wartime odyssey follows much of my areas of interest.... South Carolina battles and Petersburg. Thanks for posting!

Any info on where and when it was made?

Hi Andrew.
    Thanks for commenting. I don’t have anything definite on when the badge was made , my best guess is 1865.He accepted the Capt. commission in August of 65 while in Raleigh N.C. I believe a lot of the fancy ribbon drop badges were made for and presented at mustering out ceremonies (for the 48th also Aug 1865) .This would probably have been in Brooklyn , which meant access to production jewelers in Manhattan. 
   Again as with the 1st Mass.Wound Badge. It would be nice if someone made mention of the badge or badges and there presentation or purchase.  Stanley Philips is a good source for the timing of the badges as he list all the General Orders authorizing the Army Corps and the badges. Further he list any changes and the dates they happened. 
   Even with that it’s still difficult to nail it down. As I think many were made for post war veterans reunions. Stylistically their are some tells in the construction that help .     Thanks again.   Mike

wartimecollectables.com

Thanks! I'm still trying to get a handle on separating the less obvious wartime versus post war badges.

Nice badge and very interesting story! Quite a roller coaster ride of ranks! After all of that fighting he moved back to England. Nice photos also.

Frank

Mike , Kanemono and Frank thanks for commenting.His record of promotions had me going back and forth for a while . The engraving script is fantastic , writing with style and grace were the standard at that time , so to get paid as an engraver you had to be exceptional. Mike