Colt .32 Auto US Property Pistol

Steve Brannan

Steve Brannan

My good friend bought a Parkerized Colt .32 Auto Pistol marked US Property. The serial number is 567059. Is there anyway to find out if this Pistol was ever issued to a General Officer in the Army? Any assistance appreciated.

Colt 1903 USP serial numbers were regular serial numbers. Some of the members here (kwill) should be able to tell rather quickly since he co authored a book on GO pistols.

Pictures are always a plus!!

Steve Brannan

My friend tried to photograph it but they quality is poor. It is identical to one that recently sold on Gunbroker for over $5000 but had the General's ribbons. That one was serial number 567675, just 600 numbers different from my friend's 567059. Looks and condition are identical.

The records show:

567058---- 3/5/65----------------- BG Thurston T. Paul, Jr.

567060---- 5/14/53--------------------------- BG C. Warden

Missed it by a hair. 

Steve Brannan

Thanks for checking. Any idea who else would have been issued these pistols besides Generals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most in that SN range went to GOs but they were popular for any and every role other than combat--couriers, embassy personnel, OSS, MIC, CIC, Navy Intel....  Thousands went to the British (many never issued).

Steve Brannan

I don’t have a holster but will be looking for a holster and belt. Preferably the brown leather type. I think they changed to black leather about 1960. 

1956 was the change over period but as with anything military you will find overlap.  That said, brown or black would be appropriate.

Military or civilian? Repro or original?

• 2 weeks later...

I requested a Colt letter online last night and it usually takes 90 days to receive the letter. I’ll let you know when it comes in.

• 3 weeks later...
Steve Brannan

Thanks guys At Ronnie’s suggestion I asked Colt to put the date of Manufacture on my letter as well as the shipping date. Will post the letter when it comes.