Civil Air Patrol California Wing flight suit

Bob Hudson

This belonged to a Civil Air Patrol major who was also in the USAF and was an  AAF bombardier in WWII. It is as he last wore it, including the pens in the pocket:

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Nice piece,  looks like it might be a early 80s 27/P.  Doesnt have the flap covering the sleeve pocket like the later ones did and most AF guys cut off.  When I was in CAP our flight suits were the same way til around 2001 or so they finally dumped that round CAP patch for a shield shape in line with the standard size USAF MAJCOM patches.  Thought those looked 1000 times better on the flight suit.  I dont recall our round patches being as large as that one either, but it was the same layout anyways.  Not sure if they still used them today but the Senior Members always wore those old school USAF plastic encased rank on the flight suits.

Does that 27P has the side zip pass throughs?  I noticed it doesnt look to have the shroud knife pocket on the left leg.  I know it was a AF tradition for fighter guys to cut those off at times but they also did make a small number of flight suits that had those knife pockets removed and also had the pass through zippers on the hips.

4 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

Does that 27P has the side zip pass throughs?  I noticed it doesnt look to have the shroud knife pocket on the left leg.

7.jpg

It has the knife pocket (and, surprisingly, a pocket knife), but not the side zip openings like the K-2B. 

The fun part:

When I pulled the flight suit out of a box and hung it up I realized there was something in a pocket and I took it out. Then I started unzipping all the other pockets. This is what I found:

7a.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

56 minutes ago, mohawkALSE said:

Lots of goodies packed in that.  Pretty cool.  Looking back at the original pic, I can now see the white lanyard peeking out.

And I didn't notice until I went  to check on the knife pocket question: I had earlier found a big patch of paper napkins in one pocket but did not check the other pockets then.