Trying to identify this Inert grenade...

Gewehr88

Hi all,

Trying to find out some information about this grenade. I've done a little research and the body appears to be a Mk.II marked with a "T". The fuse looks like a Mk.I that has the lower portion broken off and is missing the handle. Can anyone help identify/date this grenade?

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Its an inter war HE grenade.  Black was the standard color until the early 1930's when yellow became the color for HE ordnance.

The Bouchon is an early WW1 unfortunately damaged.  The cap is for the WW1 style fuse mechanism.   Here are some photos of WW1 grenades to illustrate:

post-10825-0-08816000-1449699970.jpg

post-19375-0-40121400-1457548424.jpg

post-19375-0-67606300-1457548350.jpg

Excellent pictures! Good to know, the body of mine is similar to some of the WW2 Mk.II grenades I've seen but seems shaped slightly different. The base is definitely more narrow and doesn't seem as flat near the shoulder. That makes sense that it would be an early Mk.II body. I agree the bouchon looks the same as your pics of the Mk.I. I'm curious how it ended up on a later grenade but I guess we'll never know! Again thank you for the help! Also, does anyone know what the "T" stamped into the body means? I'm guessing it's a manufacturer but I haven't found any similar ones yet.

Nice, I could really use that bouchon cover. There is no telling how the combination came about. It was probably complete until it fell off a shelf or table or someone did not know how it work and twisted to hard. I guess anything could have happened over the last 102 years. Thank you for posting. 

The bouchon is early WW1, and appears to be picked up after detonation would be my guess. To make your grenade " correct", you need a cut back fuze with short spoon. Your grenade body is not 4 segments, indicating late 20's maybe 30's. The early WW1 fuze as you have were pulled from service by late 1917 and the cutback fuzes were instead installed on the 4 segment bodies until exhausted. See pictures. image.jpeg.253197e9058bd43eae2254ead1b798d9.jpegimage.jpeg.c1dfd42565b5ad098366a0e380dacfae.jpegimage.jpeg.7b980f785ee8973c8cbdbed2cffb6901.jpeg

The lower picture is one I have in my collection, it can be dated by its color- grey is visible on some segments. The grey on the WW1 MK 1 body indicates a surplus HE WW1 grenade fitted with the later war cut back fuze.