Picked up a 4th Marine Division named Jacket

Yessir, cakewalk research.  Lovely.  I’ll add a few bits to start us off.  

He enlisted 7/23/42; please see below.  He appears on 4th MARDIV rolls, as a member of A-1-20 (Engineers), with final MR appearance being in October of 1945.  This entry was from a casual company, at the Navy Yard in Philadelphia, likely recovering from illness / injury.

553022CC-499F-468B-9A8A-8CF7F4E061C3.jpeg

His MCSN was 437001.  

Looks like he was wounded during the initial assault on Iwo, as part of his collection of Purple Hearts.

Official discharge date was 11/9/45.  

He died on 4/5/87, at the age of 63, and is interred at Chapel Hill Memorial Park in Largo, Florida (mausoleum location C-82).

24037B12-A344-471C-9BF5-CB3AAD775EC8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Blacksmith said:

There are only 14 Muster Roll entries for him btw.

I’ve used the Ancestry.com USMC muster rolls quite a bit. 14 entries is a pretty good result. I’ve had several guys that were in for 3-4 years and only turned up 3 or 4 entries.

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2018.gif

donation2017.gif

30 minutes ago, Longbranch said:

I’ve used the Ancestry.com USMC muster rolls quite a bit. 14 entries is a pretty good result. I’ve had several guys that were in for 3-4 years and only turned up 3 or 4 entries.

There are some ways to broaden your searches, that you may want to look into.  I’ve built pretty much only USMC service histories for 10+ years, and do not think I have ever encountered that.