Unknown Patch - English Made - Help

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Picked this piece up. Looks English made. Never seen it before. One person I showed it to said it looks like a rocket tank patch - lightning bolts on armor patches, tank cog and a rocket. I've never seen it before and everyone I have shown it to is lost too. Any thoughts? Thanks ABN

unknown_patch.jpg

I spent 25 minutes searching online too before the auction ended....though I think I have seen this on the forum once before.  Since there was some german in that lot I thought it could be foreign too. Nice pickup on that lot!

Nothing came up with an image search on google or bing with your photo. 

Screen_Shot_2020-09-04_at_7_29.48_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-09-04_at_7_20.18_PM.png

I was watching this great lot too, sorry I cant help with the Brit made patch. But I was wondering if that 1st Marine patch was American made or Chinese? Sorry to derail the topic.

BILL THE PATCH

Looks like the 1st usmc div, 1st cav div are theater made, and looks like a nice abn cap patch with orange bdr for signal Corp.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Airborne-Hunter

The unknown patch definitely looks English in nature. That black material is identical to the Airborne Troop Carrier patches and the 101st English made pieces as well as others. The English  military patches from the era are usually simpler with less color. I don't think its German either. I don't want to be biased, but the design looks distinctly American to me. Most European insignia of the era is of a simpler nature.

I did show it to another person who also thought he had seen it on the forum several years back. Neither of us can locate that thread. 

I have attached pictures of the 1st Marine...very unusual construction...different from what is typically seen out of China with the burlap type back and the machine embroidery. I am not sure where it was made. I have mixed feelings China/Korea/Japan... the aforementioned 5th Army is an Italian Bevo. ABN

1st_marine_2.jpg

1st_marine.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

A friend of mine said the lightning bolts made him think of the thunderbolt logo painted on some tanks of the 37th tank battalion, but I am not sure that adds much.

That white device in the center of this design reminds me more of a scientific test tube than a 'rocket'.

Maybe a chemical unit of some sort?

Just a thought!

Airborne-Hunter
3 hours ago, R. Watkins said:

That white device in the center of this design reminds me more of a scientific test tube than a 'rocket'.

Maybe a chemical unit of some sort?

Just a thought!

I think this is an excellent observation. Taking it further, the field is blue, the lightning bolts and cog are yellow. Yellow and blue are the branch colors of the chemical corps. A test tube would fit perfectly with that theory. I think this idea may hold more water yet. 

• 3 months later...