D-Day Commemorative Medal

akriener

Does anyone have a period authentic one? I didn't know they existed until I was watching an interview with a D-Day veteran. As my great uncle was in the 506th PIR I would love to acquire one for my collection, at the very least see the ones people have in their collections!

A period authentic commemorative? They are all modern made. You used to be able to buy them from Medals of America and other purveyors of medals and insignia. Google D-Day Commemorative medal for sale and take your pick.

Allan

6 hours ago, Allan H. said:

A period authentic commemorative? They are all modern made. You used to be able to buy them from Medals of America and other purveyors of medals and insignia. Google D-Day Commemorative medal for sale and take your pick.

Allan

I thought there were "period" ones issued during or shortly after the war ended? I am thinking of most of the well known awards for the ETO/PTO.

It's the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal and it's for service in any area of that theater of operations. They became available in the immediate post war period and are still easily found for sale. Any issued by the government these days would likely be of recent manufacture. Credit for a named campaign is indicated by the addition of a bronze service star on the ribbon. Amphibious or airborne assault landings are shown by a bronze arrowhead device on the ribbon.

4 minutes ago, atb said:

It's the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal and it's for service in any area of that theater of operations. They became available in the immediate post war period and are still easily found for sale. Any issued by the government these days would likely be of recent manufacture. Credit for a named campaign is indicated by the addition of a bronze service star on the ribbon. Amphibious or airborne assault landings are shown by a bronze arrowhead device on the ribbon.

Ah, I see the D-Day commemorative medal was instituted in 2001. Thanks for clarifying.

Which commemorative medal are you referring to? The French have one, but I am ignorant of an official US one. Several private commercial medal mills that have produced unofficial medals commemorating almost any WW2 and other military service might be selling a Normandy medal.

5 minutes ago, atb said:

Which commemorative medal are you referring to? The French have one, but I am ignorant of an official US one. Several private commercial medal mills that have produced unofficial medals commemorating almost any WW2 and other military service might be selling a Normandy medal.

There are a couple similarly themed to this: https://www.militarytour.com/american-d-day-commemorative-medal.html Can't remember which YouTube video I saw it in.