Naval jelly! =(

gunner

is there any way to clean a helmet that naval jelly was used on... i read that you should never use naval jelly! and i am looking at an m1 steel pot that had a little surface rust on the inside and the guy used naval jelly... its on the inside so im still thinking about getting it but is there any way to clean that off and reverse any damage...

sorry if this is a dumb question i dont even know what naval jelly really is... sounds like vaseline or something that destroys beautiful helmets haha

thanks for the help!

is there any way to clean a helmet that naval jelly was used on... i read that you should never use naval jelly! and i am looking at an m1 steel pot that had a little surface rust on the inside and the guy used naval jelly... its on the inside so im still thinking about getting it but is there any way to clean that off and reverse any damage...

sorry if this is a dumb question i dont even know what naval jelly really is... sounds like vaseline or something that destroys beautiful helmets haha

thanks for the help!

It is phosphoric acid in a gel, commonly called naval jelly. and used to remove rust before painting steel. Any residue can be removed by water. The reddish rust is, wikiepedia notes, converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off.

For removing rust without harm exisiting paint, I have my best luck with saturating green scotch pads with WD-40 and scrubbing with a circular motion.

that is the one my friend, and i am wondering if passing it up is a mistake... only because im having the hardest time finding one that doesnt cost 5 million dollars crying.gif

that is the one my friend, and i am wondering if passing it up is a mistake... only because im having the hardest time finding one that doesnt cost 5 million dollars crying.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/U-S-M1-Helmet-w-Straps...emZ370144342038

it sold for $83.82

I would have passed on that one, I dont like buying helmets that have been messed with, especially with harsh chemicals, naval jelly is like acid

I rather have a rusty one that hasnt been messed with

in the end i shared those exact feelings, i looked past my obsession with finding one and said hey! you only want honest ww2 steel :lol: so in the end somebody else got that and someday ill stumble upon a beauty and ill take her home with me for 20 bucks! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if it'll work but if you know anyone with a blaster that uses glass beads or walnut media you might be able to clean the affects off but you'd have to repaint. I usually don't mess with original pieces but when they're already bunged up I try to put them back to their original state if possible.