Help with Vietnam era uniforms and gear

MinorInHistory

MinorInHistory

So I am making a small independent short movie about the Vietnam War, but I basically know nothing about the uniforms of the era. I have mostly WWII uniforms and equipment, so the only Vietnam stuff I have is a M65 jacket, a helmet, a gas mask bag, a bit of M1956 stuff, and some Alice gear, which would be late to post Vietnam (I think). 

What I’m trying to do is make this short film as accurate as possible, so I want to know some tips that I can use to accomplish this goal and a list of what I’ll need to acquire for this impression. If anybody wants to post photos of their setups, I would love to see them.

Thanks!

Concernedfuturedogface
So I am making a small independent short movie about the Vietnam War, but I basically know nothing about the uniforms of the era. I have mostly WWII uniforms and equipment, so the only Vietnam stuff I have is a M65 jacket, a helmet, a gas mask bag, a bit of M1956 stuff, and some Alice gear, which would be late to post Vietnam (I think). 

What I’m trying to do is make this short film as accurate as possible, so I want to know some tips that I can use to accomplish this goal and a list of what I’ll need to acquire for this impression. If anybody wants to post photos of their setups, I would love to see them.

Thanks!
What year will it take place? I will tell you the later the year, the more freedom of gear you will be able to use, and the easier locating said gear will be

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Concernedfuturedogface
I’m thinking 1969-1970. 
You will have a pretty good degree of freedom in terms of gear. Mixtures of m56 and m67 web gear were common, and as far as uniforms go, the there are plenty of places that sell reproductions of the slant pocket jungle fatigues. I'm including the link for the vietnam gear website. Any item that US forces used or wore in vietnam are organized on there, its a fantastic resource

http://www.vietnamgear.com

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

If you are truly wanting to make an indie film about Vietnam, and you know little about the uniforms and have far less in the way of uniforms and equipment, I would suggest that you look around for some reenactors in your area who might be able to put you on to a VN era group. Use them as "extras" and have them kit themselves out. You can probably hire them for cheap and will have a better wardrobe than trying to field everything yourself.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan H. said:

If you are truly wanting to make an indie film about Vietnam, and you know little about the uniforms and have far less in the way of uniforms and equipment, I would suggest that you look around for some reenactors in your area who might be able to put you on to a VN era group. Use them as "extras" and have them kit themselves out. You can probably hire them for cheap and will have a better wardrobe than trying to field everything yourself.

Allan

That is a brilliant idea.

MinorInHistory

That is a great idea, but this is more of a thing that I’m doing with my friends more than a film for an audience. I will say though, If I end up making another film for WWII, It will be intended to be educational and I think I will do what you suggested and talk to some other fellow reenactors.

Moore Militaria's site has a great reference section also. https://www.mooremilitaria.com/reference-lp.html?SID=o1mta1j8vb058ooik4gig22q45

For 1969/70; slant pocket jungle fatigues, M1956/67 gear, boonie hat, M1 helmet with Mitchell cover, OD green towel, and jungle boots.

For weapons, M16A1, M1911A1 45 pistol, M-60, and the M79 were the most common.