Winchester Model 97 Shotgun in 16 gauge for military use?

US Military Guy

US Military Guy

Was this shotgun ever used by the US military?  It is supposed to be marked "FULL" choke with a 20 1/2" barrel.

I have never even seen 16 gauge US military ammunition.

Second question which might explain the first question.  Can you install a 16 gauge barrel on a 12 gauge receiver on the Model 97?

Charlie Flick

During the early part of WW2 the Government purchased pretty much every shotgun it could find.   There were many 16 gauge shotguns swept up in that blanket procurement program but I can't say if any were Winchester Model 97s.

To feed those guns the military purchased 16 gauge ammunition.  The 2 pics below illustrate Remington and Western examples.  These photos were originally posted elsewhere on the Forum by member RobinB.

Regards,

Charlie

16 Ga Western No 1 Buck credit RobinB.jpg

16 Ga Rem Buck credit RobinB.jpg

US Military Guy

That is great news!

Except now I evidently need to be hunting for something else I don't have in The Collection.

Thanks a bunch.

US Military Guy
1 hour ago, robinb said:

A 20.5" barrel that is also marked FULL has been cut off. To be a riot or trench gun it would be marked CYL.

Yes, I thought that was correct. 

The barrel is too long by 1/2", if provided measurements are correct and never marked "FULL".

US Military Guy

Another possibility on the barrel markings and length -

Is it possible the original gun (not initially manufactured for the US military - but accepted at a later date) was built with a longer barrel and then the US military cut it off?

I know I am grasping at straws here, but other than the obvious (somebody stamped the ordnance bomb on a civilian barrel) why does the excessively long and "FULL" marked barrel have an ordnance bomb?

I have a model 12 Winchester that has the FULL lined out and restamped CYL and the barrel cut off by the military.  But it's in 12 gage. 

US Military Guy
4 hours ago, robinb said:

I have a model 12 Winchester that has the FULL lined out and restamped CYL and the barrel cut off by the military.  But it's in 12 gage. 

So it is possible.  Has the barrel also got the ordnance bomb stamp?

I don't suppose your barrel is cut to 20 1/2 inches?  Maybe the guy at the shop that day had a bad tape measure and forgot to line out FULL.

US Military Guy
6 hours ago, robinb said:

In my opinion, that 16 gage gun is not military. At least not a military riot gun conversion.

I agree.  I don't think the buyer is going to like that, but I still agree.

On another note, at least I learned I need to keep my eyes open for a box of that ammo.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, US Military Guy said:

Another possibility on the barrel markings and length -

Is it possible the original gun (not initially manufactured for the US military - but accepted at a later date) was built with a longer barrel and then the US military cut it off?

I know I am grasping at straws here, but other than the obvious (somebody stamped the ordnance bomb on a civilian barrel) why does the excessively long and "FULL" marked barrel have an ordnance bomb?

I’m pretty sure that the Air Corps used long-barreled shotguns for training leading and trailIng fire in Anti-Aircraft training.....I will have to review Canfields book but I believe he mentions them, some of them being made under contract IIRC........

US Military Guy
12 minutes ago, everforward said:

I’m pretty sure that the Air Corps used long-barreled shotguns for training leading and trailIng fire in Anti-Aircraft training.....I will have to review Canfields book but I believe he mentions them, some of them being made under contract IIRC........

I have a Savage 720.  The barrel is marked FULL, but at one time someone installed a "corn cob" adjustable choke on it.