Yangtze Service Medal Group to 31st Infantry Soldier . Distinguished Shooter . POW

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired this grouping after it turned up in a flea market and spent the last couple of days doing research on it. This group has never been in collector hands before, 

Sgt White was a double distinguished shooter, meaning he earned both a Distinguished Marksman and a Distinguished Pistol shot badge.   Both badges are present, but based on the machine engraving they most likely were re-issued after WWII since his original badges were probably lost in the Philippines. 

He served with the 31st Infantry continuously from 1932 until his death on August 17, 1942 in the Cabanatuan POW camp. He served on Bataan and died of disease shortly after the Bataan Death March, The Japanese reported his death in 1942, and since he died of disease, a Purple Heart was not issued.  He did earn a Bronze Star posthumously, but I do not know what for yet,  That research still needs to be done. There are examples of soldiers being awarded Purple hearts who died of disease as POWs , but the majority were soldiers whose deaths were not reported by the Japanese in 1942 and were not reported as POWs by the Japanese either. The US Army issued and administrative FOD for these cases in May 1943, prompting an issue of the Purple Heart, After the war these awards were rescinded when the Army discovered the causes for their deaths, 

What is truly rare and unusual about this group is the award of the USMC Yangtze Service Medal.  Members of the 31st Infantry who served in Shanghai alongside the Marines from February 5th to July 1, 1932 were eligible to apply for the medal. They had to apply to the Army AGO first and that request was sent to the USMC for actual issue of the medal.  His award of this medal is documented in the newspaper articles.

I added the DIs for display purposes. 

This thread is dedicated to the men of the 31st Infantry who gave their lives in the Philippines during WWII

0188ec0131a2439919fa37deb52006ad2702aa74d0.jpg

019e043539e25d59b6a6808eac32c6038287751866.jpg01e7abf3adee9a14ffc7e683533ef17cf933a6ddae.jpg011021fbe1236bd2ac9a9e72a063d7474257e0b90e.jpg018098045009d2e17f5243a25795c9cdeb212fb47a.jpg

0134af81562cbde1f9b3507dbb9b7d7fa7758040f3.jpg

0140abfb321a47e6833f0a0ad196f885185490d3da.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Excellent research and documentation as always Kurt, surprising that this turned up intact at the flea market.

Kurt, super cool and historic group. The Yangtze Campaign is a rarity with the gold Distinguished badges "icing on the cake". Home run!

G2

Quite a career he had, and good to see these medals remain.

The research could really prove to be interesting I suspect, as pertains to the Bronze Star. I figure you have three or four very good possibilities: Awarded for individual actions on his part, awarded as part of the sort of blanket Bronze Star award to the Philippine defenders who became POWs, as a companion / conversion award with his Combat Infantry Badge, or maybe even a combination of two or all three? Please post an update if you find out.       

1 hour ago, MWalsh said:

Quite a career he had, and good to see these medals remain.

The research could really prove to be interesting I suspect, as pertains to the Bronze Star. I figure you have three or four very good possibilities: Awarded for individual actions on his part, awarded as part of the sort of blanket Bronze Star award to the Philippine defenders who became POWs, as a companion / conversion award with his Combat Infantry Badge, or maybe even a combination of two or all three? Please post an update if you find out.       

Hi Mike

I am leaning towards individual action based on the hand engraving style with the embellishments and on 3 lines. I have seen these in the 1945-46 time frame before CIB conversion awards were made.  Its also way too early for the blanket awards of the BS in the 1980's. I just hope is file is intact!

Kurt

• 2 months later...