A New York at Gettysburg Medal to the 14th Brooklyn (84th NY)

cylekostello

On the 30th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg the State of New York minted these medals to commemorate NY veterans who were present at the decisive engagement.

My example is named to John H. Switzer, Co. D, 84th New York (14th Brooklyn). Pvt. Switzer enlisted 4/18/61 in Brooklyn and was mustered out 6/4/64, after 3 years of active service.

The 84th New York fought at the First Battle of Bull Run where Stonewall Jackson nicknamed them the “Red Legged Devils”, for their distinctive uniforms and tenacity in battle. The 84th was also present and engaged at Gaines Mill, Fredericksburg, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run, the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House. By the end of their service the 84th sustained 41% casualties. Upon their return to New York the regiment was greeted with huge crowds, celebrating their distinguished service.

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

• 7 months later...

The artist A.C. Redwood made this painting in the 1880s of the 14th Brooklyn at the RR cut on the first day at Gettysburg.

A.C. Wood painting RR cut.jpg

cylekostello
19 minutes ago, Maxrobot said:

The artist A.C. Redwood made this painting in the 1880s of the 14th Brooklyn at the RR cut on the first day at Gettysburg.

A.C. Wood painting RR cut.jpg

That's great thank you! I'd love to get a print of it, display it alongside the Gburg medal

The painting hung in the 14th regiment Armory until the 1990s. I was told that the NY State military museum sold prints for a while.

cylekostello
On 4/30/2021 at 8:32 AM, katieony said:

Love those rim named NY Gettysburg medals!  Thanks for sharing!

Same here! One of my favorite pieces in my collection