7th Major Port patch another record price

mortaydc60

Hope forum doesn't mind my pointing out these sales especially of very rare and desireable patches. This was a beauty to see, really great craftsmanship and done in bullion. Sold for over $1200 . I have had similar patches for sale but never realized a price close to this and doubt any were ever sold by anyone at half this price. A terrific patch and one I would love to have but not at that price.

s-l500-14.jpg

s-l500-13.jpg

It was one of those patches that you really cannot upgrade. A beauty of an insignia! I was surprised by the price but as someone who is selling off their collection I am incredibly glad that rare pieces like this and the 805th Tank tab are fetching great prices. You can always make money...you cannot always buy a patch that slipped away. You may have to wait years to find another one or wait until the current care taker decides to sell. 

This is one of those patches you see tons of the fake FE versions. These really don’t come up that often. I was watching but had no clue the end price. 

Airborne-Hunter

In all my years, I think this is the first real one I have ever seen. Maybe the second. There are an obscene number of reproductions. However, I have never been able to figure out why this patch is so desirable and why there are so many reproductions. It always seemed like a rather germane topic. BUT given the amount of hype this patch has received over the years, I believe the price is somewhat justified, maybe just not for me. Best ABN

8 minutes ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

In all my years, I think this is the first real one I have ever seen. Maybe the second. There are an obscene number of reproductions. However, I have never been able to figure out why this patch is so desirable and why there are so many reproductions. It always seemed like a rather germane topic. BUT given the amount of hype this patch has received over the years, I believe the price is somewhat justified, maybe just not for me. Best ABN

OK here's your second. Maybe not as much bullion, but the quilting makes up for it.  

KW MAJPORT007.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

Dave, I have seen that scan before. So I've seen two, but the OP is the 1st I have seen for sale. Excellent example, looks like Korean silk as opposed to the OP Japanese workmanship. Interesting dichotomy. 

I think the reason for all of the reproductions is that it was in the Washington book....and like any new collector, I needed to have it in my collection. However, the one pictured in the book was a reproduction along with the 13th Major Port. Having a bullion one like this is the proof that it is original.