Carts Used by Medical Personnel at Regimental Aid Posts

hist3891

Hi,

I was recently researching a World War I soldier who served in Company I of the 307th Infantry.  In the printed excerpts of a letter dated 28 August 1918, he writes "My work now is with a doctor.  I drive a two-wheeled cart and take care of his saddle horse.  I now wear red cross on my arm."  Another soldier calls the same vehicle "a two-wheeled cart of the Red Cross, but not an ambulance."  Does anyone know if this was a specialized vehicle attached to the company medical personnel?  If some one has pictures, I would very much like to see them.

-hist3891

Hi Robinb,

Thank you for posting those great pictures!  I actually had this stretcher on wheels in mind when I first read the article.  I have seen a Signal Corps photo of one in use (33rd Division troops, I think), but these are the first pictures of a surviving example that I have seen.  I was just wondering if the regimental medical detachment might not have also had something similar to the little horse drawn carts that the machine gun units used.  I don't know that I would describe myself as "driving" a wheeled stretcher.

-hist3891

• 1 month later...