• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As a child my father would arrive home daily, weekly, or monthly with yard sale items.

One day he arrived with the below pictured item. The seller stated that his father had obtained this item while participating in the WWII Pacific Island hopping timeframe. 

Any idea what the markings painted on the back indicate? Ship/boat call sign? CBF 19-U6

ETA - Sorry can't figure these sideway photo uploads

TIA Albert547FC06C-886E-43B1-A3CB-370CE9EE3826.jpeg.31712837d95c7eb9defd471c781c41ce.jpeg

96377F5B-367F-4BB3-9DE9-081260864CC9.jpeg

That could be a shield.  I believe I have seen some like that.  The carve outs on the side are so a spear can be thrust forward.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

You might try contacting the Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Hawaii.  They have artifacts from cultures all over the Pacific.

https://www.bishopmuseum.org/

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

There are 2 holes in the top edge and 2 holes in the bottom edge about 3/4" dia x 2" deep. Like it was a part of others above and below it. I've googled images that look similar. Several of these are stacked up and attached to a pole or tree. 

Thanks for all the replies. Does look like Witco stuff, but I cannot find anything similar. Were Witco items individually made?

Markings on the back are still a mystery? I've always believed CBF has some military reference.

11 hours ago, DaBomb said:

Thanks for all the replies. Does look like Witco stuff, but I cannot find anything similar. Were Witco items individually made?

Markings on the back are still a mystery? I've always believed CBF has some military reference.

Witco was a shop in WA State that made a lot of modern Tiki art from cedar in the 1960s - 70s. I would guess they made 

many one of a kind items. My mother was given one of their carvings when I was a kid and I have not seen another example like it.

If I remember correctly, Elvis purchased some of their items for his place. It would appear their stuff is worth some money now.

W

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.