B-2 flight cap opinions please?

AZPhil

Hello Everyone,

So ran across this and made a lowball offer ($125)on a BIN at $149.99 that had just popped up and he took it,(No Return) 
So one way or another I got one of these coming.

Can I get your thought's.
Seller gave me this story about where it came from. Seller is from Canada.
I know! I'm not buying the story.. Its a decent one......

"I purchased the cap from a Vets family. The Vet was a spitfire pilot in the RAF and flew with the Royal Norwegian Air Force Sq 331.
Lots of the documents are in Norwegian so difficult to read. Not sure if this was his cap as the initials dont match or he picked it up somewhere during or after the war."

The only other one I found with this type of "Covered/seamed" over the liner inner stiches has a tag that just say's SMALL and being sold as WW2 AAF.
I'm not sure about the Tag/No Tag thing.
So No Tag or AFF Stamps on this one, It has some wear on the outer flap side, But they will be up with the shearing showing and it won't be seen. It has a slight fold on the bill.
I did check all my references, Sweeting's: Combat Clothing and Combat flying Equipment.. Gear Up, SWPG's and several websites and I cannot find very much information about these. 
But the question about Tag or No Tag wasn't answered.

Let Me Know???

754804716_B-2mycaprightside.jpg.0e11eff7144d37e2681566933acf49f5.jpg1049860246_B-2mycapleftside.jpg.fe0e37db02fd9d8fac7c28aab250c9e6.jpg987043476_B-2mycaptop.jpg.353a5f9f346b1f739d64a09e0dbbbf1b.jpg1411997289_B-2mycapliner.jpg.d233f4825a1ce30a4cacdcf96370b3af.jpg1214761699_B-2mycaprightflap.jpg.126d8fd326b918aa639ee84060de9fb9.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

pararaftanr2

From here, it looks okay. Be very gentle with the shearling though. It may appear fine, but can split with very little provocation due to its age. For what it's worth, these were made by more than one contractor for the military, as well as for civilian wear, so there will be variations in detail. Even the Navy used these and their examples will have an "anchor / US" proof mark under the bill.

Thanks you for looking and the information Paul,

I'll heed your words of caution on the shearling.

I asked for the additional pic's of the flaps down prior to making the offer. 

This cap will be flying with Flaps Up!!

The cap bill does have a fold to it. I'm going see if there is something that can be done to "Unfold" it.

I'll have to see when I get this in hand to judge the condition of the leather.

It might remain folded.

Semper Fi

Phil

I believe it to be a private purchase cap. Originals had a a distinctive zig zag stitch on the inside. This one does not. Are you saying there is a covering over the zig zag?

Hello Ronald, 

I don't have it in hand yet and these are the sellers pictures,

But when I look at where the stitching is on the liner it has a cloth covering.

236277309_B-2mycapliner(2).jpg.a58a164fe6968a42295db24bc83efd46.jpg

Semper Fi

Phil

phantomfixer

...if the tag was removed, there would still be evidence of the stitching...I am not sure of how the Navy tagged their caps, generally AAF contract manufacturers had the tag in the same basic location  on the back panel of the cap...not a bad looking cap...

tagged B-2s, like most of the market, have dropped in price...picking up a good tagged B-2 should be under the 200.00 mark...for now

Capture.JPG

Phil, There is no liner. The shearling is single-ply which is finished on one side and nap on the other.  There is a special machine for sewing shearling that leaves a sort of zig-zag stitch underneath with the double row of stitching on top as your pic has. Not sure why the stitches are covered on the inside of yours but if it is cheap enough it has the look for sure. There were some released back maybe in the 60s that looked good from a distance but had some kind of synthetic looking material on the visor. It was apparent when you turned it over and had this heat pressed-looking rough surface(green or blue IIRC). They are still out there occasionally and I'm not sure what they were for. Movie maybe. Yours has the correct visor - also single ply.

Dave

Here is a Navy contract example. It does have fabric strips covering the stitching on the interior. There is no sign of a manufacturer's label, other than the size tag in the rear. It also has the US Navy anchor / US proof mark ink stamped under the bill. This is the second example I have owned with these details, but I have seen several others with similar features over the years. I believe it is entirely possible that whoever manufactured this cap for the Navy could have also done so under USAAF contract, or for the civilian market, as well. It has also been seen time and time again that as long as a manufacturer's product conformed with the basic specifications laid out by the government,  minor variations in construction were permitted from one contractor to the next.

20200831_205426.jpg

20200831_205454.jpg

20200831_205502.jpg

20200831_205529.jpg

20200831_205640.jpg

webmediaCAVDIS67.jpg

Hi Phil. I don't have a inside pics anymore. Paul bring the best information I guess...

I would wait for a classic B-2 cap with proper AAF label inside.

Cheers,

Jerry 

Wow!!! That is a Beautiful cap Paul.

I'll have a closer look at mine when it arrives to see if there were any tags on this one.

Jerry,

Yes I will have to find a Tagged AAF one to make this complete.. 

So where the makers of the AAF B-2 caps the same makers for the navy version??

Semper Fi

Phil

Thanks for the additional pic's Jerry.

With the Navy cap's being shown.

Its starting to look like the one I have coming might be Navy. (Yeah/Nay?)

Or is this a private purchase like Ronald suggested??

I'm going to have to take a serious look at mine when it shows up.

It should be here by Tuesday the 8th,

Thank you all for the help.

Semper Fi

Phil

The key thing to look for is that Navy proof mark on the underside of the bill. If not there, it's not Navy. There is a similar B-2 cap on ebay currently without a maker's label, but with covered seams and a size tag. Unlike the Navy ones shown above, the size is written out as "Small". https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WWII-USAAF-US-ARMY-AIR-FORCE-B-2-Bomber-Sheepskin-Leather-Flight-Cap/184107746806

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I saw that one.

Actually I've been checking several times a day on Ebay for B-2's and that one is what I mentioned about the seam looking like mine. But has a tag.

The one I bought just happened to pop up and I jumped. Maybe to soon!!!!

I will definitely take a closer look at mine when it arrives.

Semper Fi

Phil

This looks to have the tag removed, the back panel has the stitch holes where the manufacture tag would be for a AAF contract B2

14 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

The key thing to look for is that Navy proof mark on the underside of the bill. If not there, it's not Navy. There is a similar B-2 cap on ebay currently without a maker's label, but with covered seams and a size tag. Unlike the Navy ones shown above, the size is written out as "Small". https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WWII-USAAF-US-ARMY-AIR-FORCE-B-2-Bomber-Sheepskin-Leather-Flight-Cap/184107746806

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Phantom,

I'm not seeing it on my monitor, but if you are correct, then I'd say Phil's new cap has a good chance of coming from a USAAF contract, by an as yet unknown manufacturer and that this same manufacturer made them for the Navy as well.

Pararaft,

I was referencing the Ebay post...with the sz tag small....the back panel has the outline of the tag on it...and I could be mistaken...but looks like a stitch outline...

👍

Well Gent's,

I'm not sure if all this USPS business thats going on put a fire under somebodies keaster, But my cap that was supposed to be here this coming Tuesday showed up in Saturday's mail.

I was also watching the Grandkids Saturday, so I really couldn't take a great detailed look on this cap.

Since all of that excellent information was shared here, I feel comfortable to say this is a US NAVY cap.

This has been a very informative thread for me and I thank eveyone who participated and assisted me in this matter.

I did take some photot's of what I believe to be the US Navy accepatance stamp that was pointed out on the Navy versions.

Its not the clearest stamp, But it is in the location of the other examples that where shared here.

There are remains of a black colored tag still in the rear seam. I'm going to take a closer look at this today, I'm currently at work, so this will take place this afternoon/Tomorrow..

I will continue my Hunt for a USAAF Type B-2 but this will make for a nice addition to my collection. The leather is soft and flexable.

I have always wanted one of these. I'm a happy camper with this one, but will be very pleased when I add a nice AAF Tagged B-2.

Let me know what you think!!

Semper Fi

Phil

1301007263_Fullvisor.jpg.96a6fb7b684f5a0f1ba6a1121bf11e31.jpg1262026929_Visorcloseup1flip.jpg.857a5da7afddce3caaac1c6015d2fdf8.jpg484211472_Sideview.jpg.0500ad971634dd0a0a5cbbe68ce140d9.jpg

I had a chance to take a magnifying glass to this cap and the only sign of a tag would be these threads I found.

Since it's Navy,

This stich is found on the Aft seam of the cap. I found no other signs of tags or stitching on the Port and Starboard sides!!!

495648242_B-2MyNavytagthreadsatback1.jpg.dfa7d763224146d7326b4f50b268eaa7.jpg

Anchors Away My Boy, Anchors Away!!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

Sorry, Had an after thought about these and the EDIT feature time expired,

So what is the correct Name/Type/Model/Nomenclature of the Navy Version?

Semper Fi

Phil

In the 1944 dated Navy Class 37 catalog of flight gear, if is called the "Winter Cap" with the note "(Army Spec. 94-3096-A, Type B2)".  They were available in six sizes, from 6 7/8-7 1/2.

IMG_2539a.JPG