FS SB Repaint or not?

thecandyman0838

thecandyman0838

My dad picked this up for me at an estate sale. It's a front seam, swivel bail mccord. From the pictures he sent me it looked like World war 2 era cork and paint. In hand it looks like it was repainted and maybe re corked with sand. The cork/sand isn't as fine as the sand finish on a '60s ingersoll helmet I have but I still cannot tell if it is cork or not. It is a little bit finer than the cork on some of my wartime shells. The interior of the shell was painted and corked as well which I have never seen. Here are some pictures I took. Is this a war time refinish or is it from the 60s?

Thanks

heml1.jpg.5a4d91c0c10e8ec8c99b867837de176f.jpghelm3.jpg.fd5bb836466b56a2e223c2335a73e634.jpghelm2.jpg.390fed21c8a1ce344ae2bb89cde5be20.jpghelm4.jpg.9bb006afe1c6440ba8cd304b47d988b1.jpghelm5.jpg.d5c2421aa84130ad4ab0bf3c22b4e8d0.jpg

RememberThe5thESB

For sure repainted, and it seems recorked, as the inside being repainted and corked suggests the outside was redone first and then the inside. Couldn't tell you if this is even in field or post war as I've never heard of the military or soldiers in the field recorking as well as repainting.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

thecandyman0838

Thanks for the replies. I didn’t notice the paint on the chinstrap before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sand may have been used in the field as an anti-reflection measure, added to the paint instead of cork. I have a German kriegsmarine helmet that was repainted/camouflaged in almost the exact same way. Nice textured repaint. 

km17.jpg

huntssurplus

It might have been field or it might have been reenactor done. I'm pretty sure the straps would have been replaced it if it was a 60's repaint most likely, I've never really seen any refurbished helmets for post war use keeping the old sewn on chin straps. Reenactors and some collectors are notorious for their backyard repaint/corking of helmets, so that is always a possibility, but it is usually on post war helmets to make it look like ww2 era. 

It seems unlikely, that possible it was field done by the soldier. But I find this very unlikely. There were depot done refurbished helmets during ww2 that is also a possibility as well, not sure how sloppy they were with the chin straps though getting paint on them. 

Hunt

29 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

It seems unlikely, that possible it was field done by the soldier. But I find this very unlikely. There were depot done refurbished helmets during ww2 that is also a possibility as well, not sure how sloppy they were with the chin straps though getting paint on them. 

Hunt

Two observations. One, the helmet could have had unit markings on it and orders came down to cover them up, or the cork had worn off to the point it was getting 'shiny' prompting a repaint. Also, I doubt all soldiers assigned to rear echelon depots were high-speed guys with excellent attention to detail. Could have been some PFC working off a punishment by repainting helmets all day and he just didn't care. We'll never know, but I served with guys like that who just didn't want to be there. 

Both of those are possible but it is all speculation. Like you said we will never know. It’s probably best just to leave it at that really.

thecandyman0838

Thanks for all the info and opinions everyone. I had to work the day of the estate sale so my dad went. They also had a pot with a lieutenant bar on it but someone grabbed that before he could get to it. I’m definitely lucky my parents support my collecting.