Wood Airplane, kit or factory model?

digi-shots

I’m thinking this might be a vintage WWII airplane made from a do-it-yourself kit.  

The “stickers” appear to be paper that has been glued and covered with a glossy finish.

wingspan os about 10”

Thanks for looking.

EA84CB4F-53DF-4FF9-9AFA-BE43831883FA.jpeg

874566DF-06DD-41EB-94B8-981E4CB695F5.jpeg

CCDC525C-9C3C-41A6-AAF2-70A562EF2B17.jpeg

Wooden model kits were available during WW2. I would bet that is what this started out as. The kits included an instruction sheet and a few sheets/blocks of wood that were roughly the size needed, and then were carved/cut/sanded into shape, glued together, and painted.

I used to have an original unbuilt example of a British fighter plane, still in the original red, white, and blue box complete with “keep ‘em flying” logos. 

• 10 months later...

Probably started life something like this, the maker had to have at least a basic understanding of how scales worked and how to transfer them to the raw blocks of wood to create the finished model........ I've always bought any wartime solid wood models that I came across......... for example a US made HAWK model of a Spitfire with War Bonds logo on end of the box.

In the hands of a skilled modeller they can be turned into something like this P-47,

SPITFIRE HAWK.jpg

SPITFIRE  DET HAWK.jpg

THUNDERBOLT STBD.JPG

General Apathy
On 8/30/2020 at 3:20 PM, digi-shots said:

I’m thinking this might be a vintage WWII airplane made from a do-it-yourself kit.  

The “stickers” appear to be paper that has been glued and covered with a glossy finish.

wingspan os about 10”

Thanks for looking.

EA84CB4F-53DF-4FF9-9AFA-BE43831883FA.jpeg

874566DF-06DD-41EB-94B8-981E4CB695F5.jpeg

CCDC525C-9C3C-41A6-AAF2-70A562EF2B17.jpeg

Hi digi-shots,  I am not proposing that this is one of them, but some years ago an American wrote to me and and included some detail relating to when he was in high school during WWII and one of the weekly projects was making models for the military to be used in training camps for servicemen to become familiar with the outlines of various aircraft. These were made from scratch not kits and he said that they used cutout details to finish the aircraft from papers and magazines. 

regards lewis

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi digi-shots,  I am not proposing that this is one of them, but some years ago an American wrote to me and and included some detail relating to when he was in high school during WWII and one of the weekly projects was making models for the military to be used in training camps for servicemen to become familiar with the outlines of various aircraft. These were made from scratch not kits and he said that they used cutout details to finish the aircraft from papers and magazines. 

regards lewis

Now that is an interesting little tidbit that I'm glad saved here from the dustbin of history.  It's often these little things that I find most interesting.

mikie

General Apathy
13 hours ago, mikie said:

Now that is an interesting little tidbit that I'm glad saved here from the dustbin of history.  It's often these little things that I find most interesting.

mikie

Hi Mikie & Steve B. for liking the post I added, here's a local farm find an unfinished US aircraft,  the farm was close to the temporary American airfield at Beuzeville la Bastille it's surmised that it was made by a serviceman on the airfield.

.fullsizeoutput_bfd1.jpeg.effac292435fd4908605e0d1d3172f5e.jpeg

regards lewis