Thrift Store Halloween Section Finds 2020

Despite all the craziness 2020 has brought--at least in my locale, the Halloween stuff has already gone up at thrift stores--which makes for an awesome source of potential militaria finds. Gear is normally scarce, but you can find quite a few gems on the costume racks. Of course, you'll have to wade through lots of UCP and ABU junk...

Feel free to post your scores here as you find them!

I've found about a dozen pieces worth buying (including some DBDU 'Chocolate Chip', AOR2, Swiss Alpenflage, and a bunch of recent issue M65 jackets), but here's my best find so far:

US-made Gung Ho tigerstripe shirt! From a distance I thought it was just one of those 'fashion' pieces with random fake patches, till I grabbed it off the rack. There's the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment patches, name tape, Captain's bars, and a Wisconsin souvenir patch. Sleeves have been shortened.

101_5616.JPG

101_5618.JPG

101_5617.JPG

101_5619.JPG

Was at Goodwill yesterday because I needed something for cheap, and saw a Korean War US Navy Jumper with ribbons (KW service and China service) and musicians rating for about 10 bucks (including the "scarf" thing and the pants). First time I found military stuff at the GW. Nevertheless, I didn't pick it up because I didn't need it.

"War is young men dying and old men talking"

donation2017.gif

1 hour ago, USMarineCorps said:

Was at Goodwill yesterday because I needed something for cheap, and saw a Korean War US Navy Jumper with ribbons (KW service and China service) and musicians rating for about 10 bucks (including the "scarf" thing and the pants). First time I found military stuff at the GW. Nevertheless, I didn't pick it up because I didn't need it.

Wow, its pretty rare to find them with any ribbons left on. Sounds like a pretty nice find. I checked a few days ago and only found two modern army dress pants but its about time to start hunting!

donation2019.gif

1 hour ago, Ray42 said:

Wow, its pretty rare to find them with any ribbons left on. Sounds like a pretty nice find. I checked a few days ago and only found two modern army dress pants but its about time to start hunting!

Yeah I was surprised to see it as well. Other than this one, the other military shirts and jackets were all stripped...I'll have to check out the other stores in the area just in case. 

IMG_9606.jpg

"War is young men dying and old men talking"

donation2017.gif

• 3 weeks later...

This year's been pretty slow, as expected, but I still managed to find a few things.  The only US item I got was a $5 1980's M1 helmet, complete with an ERDL helmet cover, at a Goodwill.  I also saw a few Army Class A jackets, but all were in bad condition (missing buttons, random bleach stains). 

1_main-1140x957.jpg.b1195546214e0a76d1c47777f4fbee70.jpg

liner_date.jpg.db1bc4a93de0dd4154923562600e3370.jpg

Non-US items found so far are a pair of Danish desert flecktarn shorts and a UN beret.  

On 9/4/2020 at 8:47 AM, USMarineCorps said:

Scarf thing = neckerchief   

donation2018.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

30 minutes ago, milsurp_scout_14 said:

Nice finds! Anytime you can get an M1 helmet for $5, it's a good day! I've only managed to pull about 15 pieces out this year; it's been fairly dry in general. 

Anything noteworthy of the 15?

donation2019.gif

I didn't see this and once again, y'all beat me to the punch when I thought I got there first. I started a topic of Halloween finds myself (as I try to do every year -Halloween Warning Order). Here's the picture I posted. Good items found so far. headed there shortly to check again be fore I get a cold one. 😁  

IMG_2994.jpg

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Vietnam era (1969) blue USAF peak cap for .50 at a second hand store....Of course, it's missing the eagle insignia...

As for the navy jumper, I agree it's lucky to find the ribbons still on it....These small items, including collar insignia are always the first things swiped while they sit on the rack...Seen it many times....About four months ago a WW2 US army dress coat at a Salvation Army had it's collar insignia stolen....Bodes

I found this yesterday, a very well-used modified ALICE magazine pouch at a Goodwill.  I was told these were sometimes done by SEALs and other SF in the 80's and 90's.  There are no markings besides the former owner's name, no stamp in the top of the flap and not even the US stamp, which I assume was rubbed away, anywhere on it.  

1_front.jpg

back.jpg

side_left.jpg

side_right.jpg

I found this P44 today off the Halloween rack.  The contract number is 47257 is to Rosenbloom Inc and is dated to between January 22, 1945 and April 1945 according to https://www.usww2uniforms.com/USMCitemQuery.php.  I tried to annotate the stamp as best I could.  I'm not entirely sure about "HQ CO", but I can't think of anything else it could be and there appears to be a light "H" in front of the Q.  The most atypical thing about these are the completely blank buttons.  There doesn't appear to be any sign of stamping at all on any of these buttons, and definitely not the usual "US MARINE CORPS".  

I was about to give up, but there's still plenty of stuff out there.  

1_front.jpg

3_stamp.jpg

button.jpg

contract_stamp_closeup_annotated.jpg

EGA.jpg