Thrift Store Halloween Section Finds 2020

milsurp_scout_14

TheCrustyBosun

I went looking in my area here in Connecticut. Came up with a blank. GW says they won’t take in or deal with any uniform items. Most thrift shops I spoke to said that if they get uniform items, they generally send them to local VFW or AL posts. I spoke with a few friends who are officers with local VFW posts and they said that they offer them to other posts and museums for displays if they don’t keep them for their own. Estate sales seem to be the only option outside local militaria dealers. In CT, I know of only two stores, Mystic Army Navy and Thames Army Surplus. 

ps. I’m actually embarrassed to admit that I just now thought of the Salvation Army as an option. Anyone have luck with them?

19 minutes ago, TheCrustyBosun said:

ps. I’m actually embarrassed to admit that I just now thought of the Salvation Army as an option. Anyone have luck with them?

Yeah I have had some luck with them. This year I only found a WW2 Marine hat but in past years I have found stuff like a very large grouping to a dentist who served as a captain and retired as a Colonel, a Vietnam era field uniform, several helmet liners, and other odd bits. They are not as good as goodwill but if your area does not do uniforms then they might be worth a shot next year. 

38 minutes ago, milsurp_scout_14 said:

Nice finds Ray42; those look like some awesome older pieces! I didn't pull a single thing out in the last 2-3 weeks of October. Till next year I suppose...

Thanks, I think the tan uniform is from the 50's but not sure about the dress blues. The USS Ranger could either be for prior service on CV-4 in ww2 and as a medical officer around the Vietnam era or it could be for service on the latter USS Ranger, probably around Vietnam, and later service as an army officer. I really do not know enough about these uniforms to date it.