Wow, check out this common MKII pineapple grenade.

Description, "Very good condition and guaranteed original WWII US military MK 2 hand grenade that is a combat issue example, NOT a trainer or dummy. Inert, safe and legal to own. Solid base type, has original green paint with yellow neck indicating high explosive. Original paint shows some normal wear. Complete with correct original fuze assembly that is inert. A nice original MK 2 “pineapple” grenade for your collection."

I knew Ordnance pieces are skyrocketing, especially WW2 dated items, but this is astonishing. Realized price:. $680 plus $20 shipping....for a common pineapple in just fair condition. Sold yesterday on GB.image.jpeg.1aac53de29f083a2b83ccfdf4b66bb08.jpegimage.jpeg.458ecb3b9ecdbc5ea8fb79af8e462396.jpeg

Kaptainssurplus

That seller is one of the biggest if not the biggest on gunbroker with thousands of followers and people in his network. His items always get more than normal value because he reaches more people. He is a good seller but there are times where he mislabels or misidentifies items, some that are fake/replica but if told he always fixes the auctions. All in all I'm not surprised, but it's always a shocker on the prices he gets. 

Kaptainssurplus
6 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Hmmmm, ok.

This situation aside, what would be a reasonable forum / show price for one of those?

Thank you.

Usually they get $150-350, depending on many factors. Like condition, model, fuze, era, markings/manufacture, paint color, if it comes with storage tube, etc. The MK2 has soooooo many variations, variants, manufacturers, fuzes used that, etc that you really need to know the subtle differences to figure out price. 

4 hours ago, Kaptainssurplus said:

Usually they get $150-350, depending on many factors. Like condition, model, fuze, era, markings/manufacture, paint color, if it comes with storage tube, etc. The MK2 has soooooo many variations, variants, manufacturers, fuzes used that, etc that you really need to know the subtle differences to figure out price. 

Agreed, on value. $350-500 for a super rare late WWI - early WWII design/fuse. But $680! Really? I've heard of this guy and he gets good stuff, but his buyers must be knife fighting to get his stuff. I stopped looking at his items because they are so far out of reach.

This grenade - closed bottom - black dipped handle - M10A3 fuse. Highball retail $350

He has another listed, at $400 now with a few days to go. I rate this one as fair. That said, I have noticed a huge uptick in Milsurps - WW2 Brit  Enfields brought $550, Berthier 1915 long rifle just got $700, minty M91 Mosin 1897  $750,  Berthier M16 Carbine $600, quality WW1 and WW2 era stuff...I picked out those as they were recently all sold on GB, and I am a milsurp collector, at these prices no longer a buyer.

Very nice hoard, grenade collectors are known for not stopping with just one. I do monitor most auctions, and noticed an increase in WW2 grenades realized prices. No surprise, as a MK II is iconic, and any serious militaria collection isn’t a collection if it does not have  at least one. I do see $500 a grenade in the not to distant future.