Marine or Army?

Mr.Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to disagree guys. This patch is for the 3rd Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. The Marines left the 2nd Division in July 1919. After the division returned home, the Marine Regiments were replaced  by the 1st Infantry Regiment (square) and the 20th Infantry Regiment (diamond). This style indian /star was used by the 2nd Division at Fort Sam Houston. The colored backgrounds lasted until 1925. It also would appear the coat has chevrons on both sleeves which was not WWI regulation. Prior to WWI chevrons were on both sleeves, during the war only right sleeve, and post war, (you'd have to check Emerson for exactly when) they switched back to both sleeves. Also if the coat has a standing collar, that is 100% correct as well because the lapel style coat did not appear until 1926. 

Bill

Well now that makes sense and I stand corrected. I have been looking at Indianhead Star WWI patches for so long, I was biased. Those darn Marine collectors, we think everything is the Corps.

These were manufactured in generic form and trimmed to the appropriate shape by the end user. Please see 4 different examples of these untrimmed SSI below These are not all from the same series i.e. head, bonnet design and colors, but hopefully it gives you the idea about this type of patch. I'll dig through my files and pull out some of the trimmed shapes later.

Bill 

2d d.jpg

2d c.jpg

2d b.jpg

2 Green sq.jpg