Mexican Border Service Medal #20787

Hello all. This came in the mail today. A nice Army Service on the Mexican Border medal. With full wrap brooch and original ribbon.  It is numbered 20787, and I am posting here to see if any of my fellow friends and collectors here may be able to put a name and/or regiment this hero from long ago served in. It would be an added bonus if this gentleman was a fellow New Yorker. 
    Thank you all for any help that y’all might provide. It is greatly appreciated as I have been fortunate enough in the past to name some other medals, courtesy of the fine and wonderful fellow collector friends here. 
    Please, all stay safe during this coronavirus crisis and we will all be back at our shows and exhibits soon I am confident.

Best Regards,

Tom

A9A52482-A5A3-4B65-951F-C73F25BC3413.jpeg

784D7EBD-36B9-4D2D-A3E6-679DE2D9CE41.jpeg

3CA8F926-5293-41C7-945B-6A439882225C.jpeg

WANTED: Any and all Civil War items relating to the regiments mustered out of Syracuse, NY during the War of the Rebellion, 122nd NY Infantry, 149th NY Infantry and 185th NY INfantry. Anything relating to Colonel/Brig. General Henry A. Barnum.

Also wanted WW1 medals from Solvay, NY and Fayetteville, NY. All e-mails answered.

Member of American Civil War Research Database.

Tom,

I am finding that Medal # 20787 was issued to Frank Ludviczefski, Mess Sergeant  G/3 Infantry, Ft Houston

Reference Source: Mexican Border Service Medals Issue Records, Part 1 Serial Number Issue Listing: by Joann Williams and Robert H. Reynolds

Best regards and stay safe

Leigh 

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Thank you so very much Leigh. It is Forum friends such as yourself that makes this site, and our hobby, all the more enjoyable.

Tom 👍🏼

WANTED: Any and all Civil War items relating to the regiments mustered out of Syracuse, NY during the War of the Rebellion, 122nd NY Infantry, 149th NY Infantry and 185th NY INfantry. Anything relating to Colonel/Brig. General Henry A. Barnum.

Also wanted WW1 medals from Solvay, NY and Fayetteville, NY. All e-mails answered.

Member of American Civil War Research Database.

Tom,

Happy to be able to assist you.. 

If I may I would like to add a little back story about the actions of some of the cooks that were with the 13th Cavalry which was stationed along the US/Mexico border. The 13th Cavalry had a detachment including the Headquarters element, the Machine Gun troop, the 13th Cavalry Band and other elements at Camp Furlong which was in Columbus, New Mexico, about a 90 minute drive from El Paso, Texas and Fort Bliss.

In the early morning hours of March 9, 1916, Mexican Revolutionist Pancho Villa cut the border fence 2 miles South of Camp Furlong and led approximately 400 armed Villistas on a daring raid to steal supplies, arms, munitions, horses and anything of value in the town of Columbus, NM and Camp Furlong..

It was a moonless night and with the cover of darkness, Villa crept up to his jumping off point at the base of "Cootes Hill" with his armed group and split them into 5 attack parties which were instructed to attack both Camp Furlong and Columbus simultaneously.  The Villistas encountered 13th Cavalry Sentries on perimeter guard duty and silenced them, but gunfire was exchanged  before the guards were killed thus losing the element of surprise for Villa..

The only other Cavalry Troopers up that early in the morning (Approximately 4:00 am) were the cooks, preparing the breakfast meal for the troop.. 

Based on information obtained from after action reports and eye witness accounts, the Cooks of the 13th Cavalry were the first to fight back.. In several reports it tells of the Mess Sergeant coming out of the mess tent with a shotgun which he used to cut down some of the attackers. It is reported that the Mess Sergeant used the shotgun to hunt rabbits and other small game that was found in the desert around Camp Furlong and he was able to add the meat to supplement the rations he and his cooks prepared for the Cavalry troopers... Another cook came out of the mess tent with a pot of scalding hot water and he threw that at one of the Villistas temporarily disorienting the man and the cook was able to kill him. One last cook came out of the tent wielding a meat cleaver which he used effectively in bringing down another raider...  

The cooks of the 13th Cavalry acted as the quick reaction force that enabled the rest of the troopers to get into action and repel the attack. Civilian and Military casualties of the raid were 9 Soldiers Killed in action and 10 civilians lost their lives including a young woman and her unborn child...

The raid resulted in the "Punitive Expedition" which was launched from Columbus, New Mexico and led by General John Pershing. Although Villa was never captured the Punitive Expedition served as an important expedition where the military used Curtis Jenny airplanes for aerial reconnaissance and 4 wheel drive trucks for transporting supplies (Both were firsts for the Army) as well as motorcycle reconnaissance and other experiments which would later prove as invaluable lessons as the US entered World War 1 and went overseas to fight in Europe..

I just wanted to share that story about the Cooks at Columbus and how they turned the tied of the attack...

The Columbus New Mexico Raid is a very popular Staff Ride that is conducted by students of the Sergeants Major Academy as well as units of the 1st Armored Division stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas. I have had the opportunity to teach several of the Sergeant's Major Academy classes about the Columbus Raid and have accompanied the students on their Staff ride to Columbus.  

Best regards

Leigh  

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif