Confirm WW1 U.S. Victory Medal Cpgn Credits

dpast32

Hello Gents,  I'm looking to confirm which Campaign / Battle Credit(s) the U.S. 302nd Field Artillery Regiment was entitled to ? ( Battery C ) From all of my reference, it appears to be either of the 2 following choices;

©>>> France - or - Defensive Sector

Based on what I find, 'St Mihiel' Sector is noted. Would that be Defensive Sector ? Any assistance will be very much appreciated.

Best,    dpast32

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS Jeff, I appreciate your kind reply. Yes, they were indeed an organic part of the 76th Division, but once they arrived in France, they were broken up to be utilized as Replacements to reinforce units already on the Line. Some select units though were kept intact, one of which was the 302nd F.A. Both accepted WW1 Campaign Credit publications list the 302nd F.A. as being authorized the;

'St. Mihiel Sector', to which I assume to be the 'Defensive Sector' Clasp. I base my assumption on the fact that had the 'France' Clasp been authorized, it would have been listed, as opposed to what is listed, the 'St. Mihiel Sector'. Also, just for argument, it couldn't have referred to the actual 'St. Mihiel' Battle Clasp, as the 302nd was nowhere near the that area & still in training during that time period. At least I think that's it, right ?

Best,    dpast32

I would like to add this: The 76th Division / 301st Engineers were part if the 76th / not all but most of the 301th were untitled to St Mihiel clasp which would entitled the Engineers to the Defensive Sector clasp as well.  As to your quest the 76th Division and it all the others units attached were award the France clasp.

Per the unit history of the 302nd FA, they moved to the front and fired their first shot at midnight 6th November and were active from then until the armistice as a part of corps artillery assigned to the 2nd Army in the St. Mihiel sector. They were not in the St. Mihiel offensive, so their campaign clasp entitlement was Defensive Sector.

Hi, THANKS for reply. I was hoping you would chip in, for if anyone knows, it would be yourself. Be advised though, it's the 302nd FIELD ARTILLERY was / is the unit in question. Per the 2 references I have, they list the 302 F.A. as being entitled to 'St. Mihiel Sector, Lorraine', which I assumed would be Defensive ? It couldn't have been the St. Mihiel battle clasp, as the 302 F.A. was nowhere near there during the entitlement period. I'd truly appreciate if you would be so kind as to confirm this fact for me ? THANKS AGAIN, & it's good to hear from you. Take care,

Best,   Dom P. / [email protected]

THANKS 'Mars' !!! I had pretty much surmised that it had to have been D.S., but I always seek to have my fellow researchers confirm my assumptions. THANKS to everyone for their very kind replies.

Best,  dpast32