USMC M-1951 COLD WEATHER UNIFORMS

usmc-collector

Greg Robinson

I just noticed that my pics of USMC Korean War parkas are missing from this topic.

First pic is of the early war "long" parka made at the Phila Supply Depot. It's the pile lined parka worn in the Winter of 1950-1951 and based on a Navy pattern.

post-4-1198317511.jpg

Second set of pic are of a well used USMC M1951 parka that I'm told was worn by a Marine in Korea in 1952. Manufactured by LW FOSTER in the Spring of 1951.

post-4-1198317669.jpg

post-4-1198317740.jpg

Markings on shell

post-4-1199011738.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Greg Robinson

A USMC contract 1952 dated M-1951 hood that has the white inkstamped markings. Most USMC hoods had white spec labels but this one was marked as the Army hoods were in 1951-1952. And, as is the case with all USMC hoods, it has the more flexible wire surrounding the furr ruff. Must have been a Marine specific specification for them to be this way.

post-4-1201531207.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I just noticed that my pics of USMC Korean War parkas are missing from this topic.

First pic is of the early war "long" parka made at the Phila Supply Depot. It's the pile lined parka worn in the Winter of 1950-1951 and based on a Navy pattern.

post-4-1198317511.jpg

Second set of pic are of a well used USMC M1951 parka that I'm told was worn by a Marine in Korea in 1952. Manufactured by LW FOSTER in the Spring of 1951.

post-4-1198317669.jpg

post-4-1198317740.jpg

Markings on shell

post-4-1199011738.jpg

Greg that long parka is not navy...that's an Army M1943 parka type overcoat & there was also a post war 1947 version also of this same parka

Greg Robinson
Greg that long parka is not navy...that's an Army M1943 parka type overcoat & there was also a post war 1947 version also of this same parka

NO...not Navy but based on a Navy pattern but manufactured by the Marine Corps at their Phila PA Supply Depot. It has a Depot stamp inside the sleeve as was customary with their uniform production in WW2 and Korea.

It does have similarities to the US Army and Air Force issued "overcoat, parka type" developed in WW2 and modified in 1947. But it's not the same parka. When I first started collecting USMC Korean War I at first assumed they wore the Army M1947's but if study the photographs you'll notice that it's a different parka.

Greg Robinson

F.Y.I here's a pic of a "overcoat, parka type" 1947 pattern I used to own. It was mint right out of the packing crate and came with trouser waist belt. Note the OD alpaca lining, not dark brown as all the Marines parkas seen in photographs were. But it's similar and for a brief time I was convinced also that this is what the "Chosin Few" wore in Korea.

post-4-1202645256.jpg

This is the M51 Field Cap you see in those pics.

post-5-1173741893.jpg

post-5-1173741902.jpg

post-5-1173741911.jpg

post-5-1173741922.jpg

M1951 field cap?!!... this is a normal WWII M1943 cap but seldom seen in WWII...what makes that M43 to be M51? what's the difference?

Greg Robinson
M1951 field cap?!!... this is a normal WWII M1943 cap but seldom seen in WWII...what makes that M43 to be M51? what's the difference?

Actually, I don't think the "M1951" nomenclature is correct for this cap. The USMC called it an OD Cotton Field Cap with Visor. I've seen pattern dates of March 1951 and Aug 1950 for this item. Both the Marine Corps and Army put it back into production during the Korean War. But, you're correct, the same...or at least very similar....item was manufactured during WW2.

post-4-1202731706.jpg

craig_pickrall

You info is incorrect. The WW2 cap had vents and was made lighter weight that these later hats. Greg is right that it is not correctly called a M1951 but it was part of that uniform system and is generally known by that name.

M1943 pattern with vent grommets:

post-5-1202749766.jpg

M1950 pattern without vent grommets:

post-5-1202749775.jpg

Greg Robinson
You info is incorrect. The WW2 cap had vents and was made lighter weight that these later hats. Greg is right that it is not correctly called a M1951 but it was part of that uniform system and is generally known by that name.

I believe the Aug 1950 date was when the Army adopted the pattern which superceded the WW2 pattern. And this 1950 pattern was copied by the Marine Corps. March 1951 is when the Marines adopted a lot of the "M1951" line of cold weather uniforms so I assume they used that date for the official adoption of their OD cotton field cap. So it's not out of line to call it an "M1951". In fact, now that I think about it, I believe the Army did call it that as it stayed in service through the 1960's.

I believe the Aug 1950 date was when the Army adopted the pattern which superceded the WW2 pattern. And this 1950 pattern was copied by the Marine Corps. March 1951 is when the Marines adopted a lot of the "M1951" line of cold weather uniforms so I assume they used that date for the official adoption of their OD cotton field cap. So it's not out of line to call it an "M1951". In fact, now that I think about it, I believe the Army did call it that as it stayed in service through the 1960's.

craig & Greg thanks...good infos... thumbsup.gif i noticed that the M43 has a shorter visor than the M51? or just my imagination?...

by the way i'v seen period pictures of the Greek brigade in the Harry topside wearing some strange sleeveless vests with zipper closure probably lined with alpaca...what is this...it's not a flak vest...its just an OD simple jacket without even any pockets think.gif

Greg Robinson
craig & Greg thanks...good infos... thumbsup.gif i noticed that the M43 has a shorter visor than the M51? or just my imagination?...

by the way i'v seen period pictures of the Greek brigade in the Harry topside wearing some strange sleeveless vests with zipper closure probably lined with alpaca...what is this...it's not a flak vest...its just an OD simple jacket without even any pockets think.gif

Check out this thread....was this what you saw?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=6310

• 2 weeks later...
Greg Robinson

Another addition to my USMC M-1951 collection, an M1951 field jacket dated 1957 and has white label identifying it as from the MARINE CORPS SUPPLY ACTIVITY. It looks like what was once made at the Marine Supply Depot in Phila PA but I'm not sure that facility was still around in '57.

These are the field jackets the Marines were still wearing ten years later.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Greg Robinson

The high top rough out M1951 boot with an early contract date in January 1951. Probably an early contract for those. Made by Endicott Johnson.

post-4-1237545109.jpg

Greg Robinson

In the early days of the Korean War Marines wore whatever boots they could find. WW2 shoe pacs and Army boots are known to have been worn by Marines that first winter. But by the winter of 1951-1952 I assume they had these boots.

post-4-1237545284.jpg

• 11 months later...
M-1951 Parka and Parka Liner. Can't say for sure that this ever made it to Korea before the cease fire. I know the Marines still issued the earlir alpaca liner parkas up into the mid 1950's. In the Marine Corps cold weather uniforms were unit issue and not individual issue. I remember in the '60's when field jackets were the same. So basically you took whatever they issued you and often it was very well worn and sometimes out of date.

I know its been a while since this thread has been active but I have found photographs of this type of parka being used by members of the 1st Reconnaissance Company and Able Company 1/7 as early as June 1952. For photos see the books "The Outpost War: U.S. Marines in Korea, Vol. 1: 1952 and Vol. 2: 1953" by Lee Ballenger.

-Josh

• 4 months later...
Bob Hudson
Yes, this shirt green flannel was optional item to M1951 Cold weather uniform, but it was specific marine item, ARMY didn't have shirt like that. Intersting is that this shirt was worn as part of USMC winter service uniform and even I have photo documenting this green shirt to be worn just with khaki trousers :D something you would not beive if not seen in photo.

I attach some more contract examples.

flanel01.jpg

nom_62008_1952.jpg

I had never seen one of these before until I picked up this mint example recently:

usmcgrnshirt1.jpg

usmcgrnshirt2.jpg

usmcgrnshirt3.jpg

• 1 year later...