A Different Schrade Walden MC-1 Knife

DaBomb

Linked below is an ePay auction of a Schrade MC-1. Not my auction and no affiliation with the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shrade-Walden-NY-2-Blade-Orange-Paratrooper-Jump-Knife/363087429828?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have read every article found online (and here on the forum) and am familiar with the history of this pilot / aircrew (non-paratrooper) knife's history and development.

Note this knife only has one pin holding the leaf spring in place. It is missing the one next to the safety slider.

Question? Could this be what is considered the first model developed when they came to be in 1957? Any added value being scarce? Also the picked design of the handles looks very similar to the designs of the last style 1946-up M2 knives with black handles. I have only ever seen one other.

WarPath posted one up here that was NIW and his had two pins.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/294655-korean-war-vietnam-war-schrade-mc-1-paratrooper-jump-knife-also-issued-to-air-crewmennos-with-its-issue-wrapper/

ePay photos attached for future reference as influenced by others on this forum.

SW1.jpg

SW2.jpg

SW3.jpg

Cool find,  I would have never noticed that.  I had to go look at my Camillus to see the difference.    One of the Mil Spec drawings for the knife from 1963 actually shows 3 rivets on the side and are all in line vs the 2 offset.    Im actually going to be getting a Schrade MC-1 soon and I know it has the 2 usual rivets.

I have a document that I probably got from this forum that shows the original adopted 1957 "MC-1 HOOK BLADE-SNAP BLADE POCKET KNIFE".  In the complete document there is a typical poor photostat picture of the MC-1 and it shows both pins through the handles. 

I really don't see how your pictured knife would function properly with only one pin. The seller says it works.

My Schrade/Walden MC-1 has an even more aggressive "jigged bone" appearance. Certainly more than the Camillus, or  Smyth/Logan. The one on the bottom is the Colonial 724.

Also, I wanted to point out that the marking on my Schrade Walden is marked a little differently.  The names are spaced closer together and also include "Stainless" under NY-USA

Thanks for showing this unusual knife.

Marv

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Dang Misfit, those are all hot weapons. Safeties off.  Always thought it was interesting the Colonial went to a Chinese hat looking safety lock.  Those L shaped ones, especially on the L/S slide really easy.  One of the MC-1s I have that came packed in a Navy MA-2 torso harness also had some OD 100mph tape on it wrapped around the snap blade as a double safety precaution.  Hook was kept in the open position.    I have a friend that flys ANG F-16s and he actually has a M724 in his G-suit.  When he took it out one day to look at it he saw that the snap blade was actually deployed but they only thing holding it somewhat closed was the lanyard.

Very interesting.  I don't think I would have noticed that missing rivet either!

I was at an antique shop over the weekend and ended up buying another Schrade Walden MC-1 since the price was cheap IMHO :)  Still has a para cord wrapped around it.  I already had one but now I have two...!!

-Derek

9 hours ago, viking73 said:

Very interesting.  I don't think I would have noticed that missing rivet either!

I was at an antique shop over the weekend and ended up buying another Schrade Walden MC-1 since the price was cheap IMHO :)  Still has a para cord wrapped around it.  I already had one but now I have two...!!

-Derek

What kind of cord is it?  Like just dummy/ALSE cord like what was in the flight suit knife pocket or survival vests or one of the lanyards made of actual 550?

3 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

What kind of cord is it?  Like just dummy/ALSE cord like what was in the flight suit knife pocket or survival vests or one of the lanyards made of actual 550?

Yes, just the usual stuff found in the knife pocket of a flight suit.  Sorry for the poor photo this morning:

IMG_7455-crop.jpg

My suspicion is that the pin was deleted, only to be replaced due to the older Presto worm style scales that lifted or bubbled up by the safety lock area. Or twist rigidity?

No other ideas?