Unidentified USN Shoulder Sleeve Insignia ID: Civilian "Middie"

tfhiii

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this uniform top at an estate sale. Of course, I've been able to easily identified the chief quartermaster insignia but have had no luck identifying the  SSI on the left shoulder. Does anyone recognize this? I would appreciate any help or comments. Thank you!

Tom

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

pic 4.jpg

That there is the Crest for the Massachusetts National Guard. So a jumper for some kind of Naval State Guard organization from Massachusetts would be the best guess here.

image.png.5fc04a78020dfe00808c4e86740b21fa.pngix.png.275349e12d7073953a0382defcc9664b.png

That is not a uniform. It is a civilian fashion of the 1920s called a “Middie Blouse”. They were worn by ladies, and are most easily identified by the mix match of insignia which does not belong on them. And, the civilian manufacturers tag I. The collar. All USN tags, when they are present, are located on the outside, under the collar.  

Thanks for your replies. Sigsaye, your response probably explains why I'm getting only females when I google the name on the identification tag. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Tom

1 hour ago, trenchbuff said:

I believe I have seen CPO crows on pre-ww1 jumpers before.  Can someone clarify that?  Sigsaye?

Only on these Middie Blouses. Never on an actual USN uniform. It’s almost a “Trade Mark”, to insure it was NOT, mistaken for an actual uniform. 

Couple of things. That is actually, a collar, not a “Bib”. Also, if you look at the collar, there are no Stars. There are several countries which only use 2, or even, 1 stripe of piping on the collars and none on the cuffs. 

Thanks very much Sigsaye.  Maybe the one I remember seeing was one of these as well.  Always appreciate your input on the CPO items🙂

44 minutes ago, FriarChuck said:

Thanks sigsaye. Was never sure what that square pieces name was. Missed the lack of stars. Appreciate the info. 

One more question. I know the sleeve piping used to indicate the lowest three enlisted ranks. Did the collar also have less piping or was it always 3? 

Friar

Yes. The collar and cuff piping ran from none to 4, depending on your grade. This ran from 1866-1871 when it was decided to just leave the 3 stripes on the collar and run none to 3 on the cuff 

• 6 months later...

Sewed to the left arm is a cut down WW I Massachusetts State Guard Armband. Its actually in excellent condition and these are difficult to find in any condition.

John

AKA Captain Midnight