Bruce Canfield's New Book, U.S. Small Arms of World War II

dalbert

Yesterday, I was very excited to receive a copy of Bruce Canfield's new book, "U.S. Small Arms of World War II" in the mail.  Wow!  This is truly an amazing effort, which I know Bruce took several years to complete.  It's 864 pages long.  I know that many folks on this board will want to know about it.

The layout is fantastic, with many hundreds of photos, many of which are very expertly colorized, which provides a whole new perspective to some that we've seen before, and many new ones.  The book is worth it for the photos alone, and I'm not kidding.  

There's not another book with coverage this wide.  It has 140 pages on knives (edged weapons)!  

Here are some other features:

- 78 pages on submachine guns

- 80 pages on grenades, which should be of special interest to many on this board

- 29 pages on flamethrowers

It also covers handguns, rifles, .30 caliber Carbines, shotguns, automatic rifles, machine guns, anti-tank rifles, Bazookas, recoilless rifles, and mortars.

I always like to see endnotes, of which this book has hundreds.  I noted that Charlie Flick from this board made contributions to the book, and perhaps others here did, as well.  I contributed several photos to the book, one of which I am really happy to see published for the first time.  (Vintage M1 Carbine photo)

Coverage is not limited to WWII, but that is certainly its focus.  It features pre-WWII context where appropriate.  Inset photos of collector interest are present throughout the book, and the overall presentation style is quite appealing.  

This is an epic work.  You will not be disappointed.  

Mowbray Publishing has the books at the following link:

Bruce Canfield's New Book Link

IMG_7288.jpg.90b9f7310c57cb7862be4afada19119a.jpg

David Albert

[email protected]

Wow! Way different than the days of US Infantry Weapons of WWII. What a great resource. I'm trying to shed book weight right now, unfortunately, this may being added to the weight. Thanks for the heads up!

• 1 month later...

I always get asked by my wife and kids what I want for Christmas...my usual reply is “nothing, I have all I want”.  I think my reply is gonna be different this year!

I got my copy yesterday, and it will take a while to get through all 864 pages.  Bruce Canfield does a great job, and has found some great pictures that I haven't seen before.  I got my copy from Shooting Gallery Books of Ballston Lake, NY at a great price and it arrived in my mail box in a week.

Highly recommend this author, this book and this source.

Charlie Flick

Don't drop it on your foot.  It is HUGE!!  A great addition to anyone's gun library.

Charlie Flick

Dirt Detective

I agree..dont drop it on your foot, it's a little over 6 pounds.  A lot of good stuff to go thru and looks to be some pics I have not seen yet.  I have been looking at the grenade section.  I was disappointed to see a pic on page 700 of a repo grenade crate used although a good copy, (  https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-mkii-frag-grenade-crate-dated-1944?variant=26168402693  ) That's one of Robs crates.  I did see one of my pics being used but the site I posted it on got credit.  Cool anyway to see it.