Corporal John R. Fisher, 2nd Penn. Heavy Artillery

Corporal John R. Fisher Battery 3, Company “I”, 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery  

Here is a Civil War Kepi made or sold by Jas. Davis, Washington DC, a photograph titled “Pet Lambs” taken by Gardner and Gibson, several button hole pins, a non-commissioned officer’s sword with a Pennsylvania crest in silver and Fishers Civil War discharge. Everything but the sword were sold together at auction. I was told the sword was bought several years earlier from the family. It looks like he may be wearing the sword in the photograph.

John R. Fisher was born in Alleghany County, Pennsylvania, on August 21, 1839. His occupation is listed as a carpenter. He enlisted in the 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on February 1, 1862. Battery 3 called themselves the “Pet Lambs.” The 2nd Heavy Artillery was assigned to garrison duty in the defense of Washington DC, north of the Potomac River until May 27, 1864. During that time, Company I was assigned to Fort Slemmer from March 1862 to April 1863 and Fort Thayer from May 1863 to March 1864. The company was moved to Fort Ethan Allen, Virginia, on March 26, 1864. In May of 1864, the 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery moved to Port Royal, Virginia, when it was assigned to the Department of Virginia and North Carolina. From there they marched to Cold Harbor and fought there from June 4 to 12, 1864. They served in siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond, the Battle of Chaffin's Farm, New Market Heights, the Mine Explosion, Weldon Railroad and Fair Oakes. The 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery mustered out at City Point, Virginia, on January 29, 1866, and discharged at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on February 16, 1866. John R. Fisher died in Carnegie, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, on December 5, 1917.

kepi.jpg

kepi-left-side.jpg

inside-kepi.jpg

crossed-cannon.jpg

buttons-pins.jpg

fisher-muster-outdocument.jpg

GAR-button-paperwork.jpg

sword-hilt.jpg

silver-keystone.jpg

pet-lambs.jpg

reverse-of-picturet.jpg

pet-lambs-cannon.jpg

fisher-.jpg

skypilot6670

Wow ! That is a very nice grouping with excellent documentation. Looks like he’s wearing the Kepi also , that really puts it in a class by itself. To have an image of the sword and Kepi being worn is the best . The image is top shelf , rare content with period I.D.Thanks for posting it , and congratulations , well done.     Mike

What an amazing grouping! The kepi is in great condition! The photo and historical information is very cool and special!

Frank