Military Cast Iron Hand Press Embossing Stamp

AirMechanic

Does anyone know if the US military used cast iron hand press embossing stamps during WWII? Were these marked with nomenclature in any way? I recently saw one in my travels that was just marked Made in the USA on the bottom, but the brass stamp die seemed to be military. I cant remember exactly what the die stamped out, but it said something like US Army Official Orders (or Military Orders). Does anyone have a similar example in their military collection?

il_794xN.2488277079_rtid (2).jpg

I'm sure they were used, at least pre war and likely early on. These were very common to put an embossed raised seal on official government documents. To actually find one that has a military seal would be really neat! The press itself was likely just commercially made, with the seal custom ordered for what ever organization was using it.

BKW

• 1 year later...

I can't speak for existence/use of such seals in WW2.  I do know that, in at least once instance, the navy made use of such a seal press.  The seal in question was for the naval airship USS Shenandoah and would have been used in the 1920's before the crash of the dirigible.  This seal was, at the time I saw it in the early 1980's, in the Vice Admiral Charles E. Rosendahl Collection at the University of Texas, Dallas.