Huey Anti-Torque Pedals

swag

I find it amazing that the Bell adopted the 'Huey' nickname and applied it to parts the aircraft. As I understand it, 'Huey' was not an official name (that being 'Iroquois' I believe) but user-coined from the initial designation of 'HU-1' - later changed to 'UH-1'

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understood the situation ...

I find it amazing that the Bell adopted the 'Huey' nickname and applied it to parts the aircraft. As I understand it, 'Huey' was not an official name (that being 'Iroquois' I believe) but user-coined from the initial designation of 'HU-1' - later changed to 'UH-1'

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I understood the situation ...

You're spot on with that, its the same understanding I have as well. The AH-1 anti-torque pedals had "COBRA" instead of "HUEY." I wasn't able to get a set of those.

And not all of them had BELL HUEY on them. Only about 1/3 of our fleet had the HUEY, otherwise, they both had BELL. The name is correct, except that when helicopters are in their experimental phase, they also have a "Y" at the front of the designation. Hence YHU-1....looks more like HUEY now.

The Blackhawk has the same issue with the front step. I don't recall if Sikorsky or Blackhawk is what is normally on the step, I just fly it. However we had an aircraft in our hangar to be repaired when an Active Duty unit broke at our airfield and needed to work on their aircraft overnight. Then next morning when we came to work, they were gone and so was the steps off our aircraft. Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where they went. We called the unit and they asked around, sure enough, one of the mechanics wanted our rare steps for his personal collection. We got them back and ordered new ones and put those in the retirement fund

And not all of them had BELL HUEY on them. Only about 1/3 of our fleet had the HUEY, otherwise, they both had BELL. The name is correct, except that when helicopters are in their experimental phase, they also have a "Y" at the front of the designation. Hence YHU-1....looks more like HUEY now.

The Blackhawk has the same issue with the front step. I don't recall if Sikorsky or Blackhawk is what is normally on the step, I just fly it. However we had an aircraft in our hangar to be repaired when an Active Duty unit broke at our airfield and needed to work on their aircraft overnight. Then next morning when we came to work, they were gone and so was the steps off our aircraft. Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where they went. We called the unit and they asked around, sure enough, one of the mechanics wanted our rare steps for his personal collection. We got them back and ordered new ones and put those in the retirement fund

Sounds like the old BlackHawk key chain that used to come with every set of keys to a new Hawk. You definitly don't find those anymore.

Sounds like the old BlackHawk key chain that used to come with every set of keys to a new Hawk. You definitly don't find those anymore.

The nipple ring!