G.A.R. National Encampment Chattanooga TN

ken1967

In 1913, the G.A.R. held a national encampment in my hometown of Chattanooga, TN. This was only time that they met south of the Mason-Dixon line.

From my collection, an original program, veteran's delegate badge, and Women's Relief Corp badge from the event.

Enjoy!

Ken

IMG_1704.jpg

A very neat assemblage of Chattanooga reunion items.  I think this meeting was during the time when leaders were attempting to reconcile North and South veterans as their numbers thinned and time had passed.  The effort was not entirely successful though.  

This looks like the start of a great collection.  It's really interesting that the reunion badge depicted on the cover is slightly different than what was executed by the badge maker.

The condition of your two badges is nice.

Kevin

Kevin, I had noticed the difference as well. It would be great to find the badge committee information with the design specs to see who was in error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

collectsmedals

Great badges, and I have never seen one of the programs before. Wonderful! I love seeing the old G.A.R. encampment medals.

collectsmedals

Thank you for posting the program scan. I have been to Chattanooga but never knew they had an encampment there.

• 3 months later...

Ken,

For those that aren't familiar with G.A.R. and Allied Order reunion badges, could you identify what we are seeing here?

I started off just like this with my G.A.R. Chicago 1900 National Encampment collection.

This is the formation of a really nice collection. 

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'm really excited on how this Chattanooga focused collection has grown this year. Below are the pieces I've collected for this annual reunion so far:

Obviously there's the program for the reunion event, then the medals, etc from L to R: Reunion Medal for G.A.R. Members, Women's Relief Corp Reunion Ribbon, Reunion Member of Staff medal, Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic Reunion medal, Women's Relief Corp Reunion medal, and a GAR membership coat button. 

Each sub-organization to the main G.A.R. org has their own interesting history and most produced medals, ribbons, buttons, or other items to allow the participants to show their memberships at each reunion event. I probably still have several more to locate to complete this focused collection.

• 1 year later...

Two recent additions to the G.A.R. 1913 Chattanooga collection are these two delegate badges for the Sons of Veterans and the Sons of Veterans Auxiliary groups. 

IMG_3645.JPG

Nice to see you expanding your focused collection. Always a thrill to find something that fits! I'm sure souvenirs were produced, keep an eye out for them!

Good Luck!

BKW

• 1 month later...

Brian,

Funny that you mentioned the souvenir badges/medals for the event, and one found its way into the GAR Chattanooga collection!

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3750.JPG

• 1 year later...

Recently added this Encampment Events and General Information booklet from the G.A.R. reunion in Chattanooga.

819-US G.A.R. Event and Info Booklet - Chattanooga, TN  Pic1.JPG

819-US G.A.R. Event and Info Booklet - Chattanooga, TN  Pic2.JPG

819-US G.A.R. Event and Info Booklet - Chattanooga, TN  Pic3.jpg

819-US G.A.R. Event and Info Booklet - Chattanooga, TN  Pic4.jpg

• 8 months later...

Newest Chattanooga addition: Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic (hard to read with the ribbons folding up with time).

Whitehead Hoag manufacture.

867-US 1913 GAR 47th National Encampment Ladies of GAR Badge Chatt TN Pic1.JPG

867-US 1913 GAR 47th National Encampment Ladies of GAR Badge Chatt TN Pic2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

New addition to the Chattanooga G.A.R. Encampment collection is this Pennsylvania Ladies of the G.A.R. Representative ribbon. These state department badges and ribbons for the Chattanooga event seem to be relatively rare. An interesting note on this one is the state department insert in the hanger is spelled wrong! It appears to be original to the ribbon hanger. The badge was manufactured in Philadelphia PA for this event.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg