WWII Army Dress uniform?

MarkM

These pieces were in a box lot of what turned out to be mostly WWII items. I know next to nothing about the topic - would these be considered a dress uniform? The pants have some moth holes but the jacket and shirt are in very good condition. CBI Theater? Thanks for any insight. Mark

900-233_(2).JPG

900-233_(1).JPG

900-233_(3).JPG

900-233_(5).JPG

900-233_(6).JPG

900-233_(10).JPG

900-233_(11).JPG

900-233_(13).JPG

900-233_(14).JPG

huntssurplus

Yes WW2 Dress Uniform for the Army/Army Air Force. Ruptured duck shows he was honorably discharged at the end of WW2.

Hunt

More good information - thank you! So the Ruptured Duck was a post service patch? Maybe he wore this Class A on the trip back to the States? Army Air Force makes sense as there was a flight suit in the box as well. There was a garrison cap also and the cording on it appears to be Engineer Corp. Did the Army Air Force have Engineers in WWII? 

CBI patch was for all forces stationed in the theater, not just AAF. Not sure if the flight suit implies that or not. No other indication of flight crew on the uniform IMO. You mentioned the Korean jungle boots in another thread so maybe this group was a mish mash of militaria. Best would be to research a name or number. 

Dave

Funny you should mention researching a name and number - that's what I have been doing this afternoon. Also in the box lot was a 36" long duffel bag that has "US" stamped on it along with a stenciled name (Charles R. Scarpine) and number (AF11641125). Again, I don't know squat about this stuff - does the "AF" mean Air Force? Is the eight digit number a serial number? I've looked at several data bases using the name and serial number and have come up empty. 

900-234.JPG

Funny you should mention researching a name and number - that's what I have been doing this afternoon. Also in the box lot was a 36" long duffel bag that has "US" stamped on it along with a stenciled name (Charles R. Scarpine) and number (AF11641125). Again, I don't know squat about this stuff - does the "AF" mean Air Force? Is the eight digit number a serial number? I've looked at several data bases using the name and serial number and have come up empty. 

Not sure. I collect only WWII flight gear, groupings, etc. and can only assume AF is post-‘47. I’ve seen “Air Forces” primarily on transitional (post war) stuff and maybe AF in late contract numbers but not as part of a service number. 

Sorry I can’t be of more help but if I found this bag I would assume it to be post-WWII US Air Force. The other items you found, if all in one grouping, don’t help clarify it for me much. It’s almost like it came from someone who collected it. 

No name anywhere in the tunic?

Dave

Good point - I have no idea where any of these pieces originated. Couldn't find a name in the Class A jacket - just this tag and "S5449" stenciled on the inside yoke. The search continues! Thanks for your help!  Mark

900-233_(16).JPG

900-233_(18).JPG

Good point - I have no idea where any of these pieces originated. Couldn't find a name in the Class A jacket - just this tag and "S5449" stenciled on the inside yoke. The search continues! Thanks for your help!  Mark

I do not believe that the duffle and Jacket are connected, the S5449 is a traceable laundry number however when I searched it I did not find anyone with the last name Scarpine.

I didn't know about laundry numbers - when I researched that number I was able to find him - with the help of a dry cleaner's tag that is still present on the jacket - John Sandlin. So the duffel bag wasn't his after all! Thanks again - Mark 

I didn't know about laundry numbers - when I researched that number I was able to find him - with the help of a dry cleaner's tag that is still present on the jacket - John Sandlin. So the duffel bag wasn't his after all! Thanks again - Mark