Thoughts on post war M1 Liner

338thRCT

I had mistakenly placed this in the reference area and have not been able to get any input. Admin,please delete from there if necessary. I obtained this post war( I believe) Infantry School liner recently and cannot find any trace of manufacturers marking it. This make me tend to believe it may be a Micarta brand that has it's original marking worn off. There is no stamped mark anywhere that I can detect.The interior finish is darker and has more sheen to it than is shown in the pictures.Grommet hole in front looks like it may have been drilled as there is no metal to it.It has the WW2 khaki webbing, though I know the makers used what was on hand. Web mounting hardware is green painted type. Also appears to have some white paint beneath the dark finish as can be seen next to the Infantry School insignia. I'm open to any help here.

DSCN1968F.jpg

DSCN1969.JPG

DSCN1974F.jpg

DSCN1978F.jpg

DSCN1973F.jpg

DSCN1976F.jpg

It is a WWII liner with that Khaki Web suspension,nape and sweatband too. The metal grommet ring was removed, probably to sit the decal flush, with the grommet ring it causes a  bubble, a protrusion where it punches through the skin of the decal, though here the years have taken it's toll, with someone poking the decal so we now see the hole. Wear of the liner because of the 1948 Regulation chevron decal will date from that time to 1951-52 (1948 Rank Chevrons done away with in like October 1951, but seen in use a little longer after that date).

Burning Hazard

Looks like the outside of the liner was covered in shellac to preserve it, hence the yellowing on the white paint.

Pat

4 hours ago, Burning Hazard said:

Looks like the outside of the liner was covered in shellac to preserve it, hence the yellowing on the white paint.

Pat

More likely to give it that High Gloss Polished look common in this Spit and Polish era.

10 hours ago, patches said:

More likely to give it that High Gloss Polished look common in this Spit and Polish era.

All of which lines up perfectly with Infantry School Cadre/Instructor.