I rescued a RCC "Ka-Bar" Mark 2. Looking for info about it.

zWarlord

Hey all, 1st post here. Was told this is the place to ask about this blade I picked up.

I got it at a garage sale for $5, owners didnt know anything about it.  Seemed they were getting rid of grandparents old stuff.

It's in rough shape; Someone has gone after the blade with a grinder, there is paint on the leather grip and the cross guard is loose.

It's got USN MK2 on on one guard,  and RCC on the other.

I have been told not to deal with the grind on the blade, but should I fix the grip, and should/can I do anything about the loose guard?

I am trying to acquire a MK2 sheath for it, but seem to be hard to find alone.

And finally, what do I have here? I don't know much about edges weapons.

Thanks.

20200819_063435.jpg

20200819_063451.jpg

20200819_063506.jpg

20200819_063520.jpg

It's a WW2 knife.  The RCC stands for Robeson Cutlery Company. I've seen worse and definitely I would have bought every one they had at that price.  I'll let others share their opinions, but I'd usually leave it alone in the condition I see in the pictures.

zWarlord- Nice find!  For $5 you did great. The knife is in fairly decent shape. If the handle hasn't got a lot of play, leave it alone, looks solid from the pictures. As far as a MK2 scabbard. you're gonna drop a whole lot more, than what you spent on the knife. Considering the knife's condition, look for a well used MK2. or even a leather scabbard.(note- that is a late RCC, and the MK2 scabbard was probably issued with the knife. SKIP

I agree with sactroop and skiph. I'd buy those all day at $5. a pop. Even in rough shape they are great knives, not to mention a great piece of history.