A very nice surprise

So the week has sucked...I was out of work for three days with a back injury, and my "only $500" car repair suddenly ballooned to $1,465.00...but the Collecting Gods took pity upon me. I had gotten an  email earlier in the week from a man asking if we took donations of old newspapers and LIFE Magazines - Sure, these are always good to have on hand. So I stopped by last night to pick them up...

IMG_20200820_070737.jpg

IMG_20200820_070905.jpg

So, while we're discussing how he came to have them, he casually asked "I've still got my Dad's Navy stuff from WWII. You probably wouldn't ant that would you? He was in the submarine service you know."

Gulp.

He ended up keeping a stack of photos, but he's making scans for us...in the meantime, here's the artifacts of QM2c(T) Gilson, crewmember of SS-393, the USS QUEENFISH. He served aboard her the entire time from commissioning to the end of WWII:

IMG_20200820_071138.jpg

Here's his discharge folder...note the miniature combat badge in the center...and a closeup of the same....

IMG_20200819_202238.jpg

IMG_20200819_202252.jpg

There's no uniforms left...but he did save his Rate and sub badge...and there's a commemorative medal.

IMG_20200819_202024.jpg

IMG_20200819_201506.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Awesome , sub stuff is hard to come by. Sorry about your car.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

One of the photos being scanned is of the crew with their battle flag (I'll post that when I get it)...aaaand, he has the flag "somewhere" and it should be headed our way when he finds it. Oh, and there's also the comprehensive book of bios, which is loaded with info.

...and so it goes.

Mark sends

IMG_20200820_071152.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark

Quick question if you still have this group handy...

If you hold the PUC citation up to the light, is it printed on watermarked paper?

Thanks Josh