M1911A1 Pistol review: tell me what's wrong...

ThompsonSavage

ThompsonSavage

Saw this 1911A1 for sale, but I do not know much about 1911 model pistols. I feel some things are wrong with this one (slide, screws,...).

Your verdict?

1728163723_coltdetail2.JPG.b7e07e357d23ff3f88cbe3de77d75f68.JPG432376810_coltdetail.JPG.e776f5faf55d35539e551b03508bdac5.JPG

I'm sure you'll get some more feedback... but... yes, the grip screws are wrong - they should be parkerized.

The serial number puts it in the 1943-44 range, Ithaca shipment.

The slide has no manufacturers stamping (left side), and the right side of the  should have no markings at all.

The right side frame also has some extra markings just below the serial number (can't make them out)

I don't believe there should be any stampings on the barrel at the ejection port.

Hope this helps.

In looking at the right side receiver stamping, the serial number looks a bit spaced out... and the "M" in M1911 and ARMY doesn't look right

Hey guys, not sure we need to go much farther than it’s been refinished - after it left military service (as best as can be determined by these low-res pics).

I am basing that opinion more on color than anything.  Original GI, and arsenal refinishes, both appear more as a manganese phosphate (dark gray).  There is some fairly well-founded theory, that immediate introduction to Cosmoline - in preparation for shipping to depot - is what gave original USGI finishes a green tint.

The finish on the OP’s pics appears to be more of a zinc phosphate, which is what makes it appear lighter and almost chalky.

Then you get to the mis-matched parts...