Small officers insignia grouping

After spending the summer in West Virginia due to COVID searching for anything named to a WW2 vet from the state I finally found a group I am pretty happy with just a few days before I had to leave to go back to school. The group was hidden in a cup at a community yard sale which I nearly overlooked, but luckily I noticed one of the ribbon bars on a second pass and realized that everything must have belonged to the same officer. Sadly the seller had no further information on the Vet, but for only $3 I cant complain too much about the lack of information. Two of the collar insignia and one of the lt. bars are acid test marked which is pretty neat because I had not encountered them before. I cant seem to find an obituary for Lt. Ric*hard Hold*en but the group came from a somewhat small community so hopefully I can track down some family members to figure out the officers story later. 

Sadly in almost 5 months of searching the only other West Virginia uniform or named group I found was a somewhat disappointing uniform for a sailor who served on the USS Texas... for 2 months in 1942 before being transferred ending up in the hospital and ultimatly medically discharged.

Officer grouping 1.png

Officer grouping1.2.png

donation2019.gif

Nice little group! Always love to find local items! Can you post the USS Texas uniform too? does it have insignia or is it just blank? 

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

I love finding local groups also, I have some great stuff from truly remarkable vets from units such as the 10th mt div, 11th Airborne Div, a B-17 copilot who flew fairly early in the war, and a Marine who served as a gunner on the Enterprise from Indiana and Iowa where I have been for school.  West Virginia items just seem impossible to find by comparison, never find them in the wild and never seem to find them for sale on places like Ebay. 

And sure I can post the jumper and "Donald duck" hat that came with it but they are both blank, not even the hat has the US Navy ribbon on it. Not really the biggest fan of navy jumpers but I picked it up because even 2 months on a famous ship like the USS Texas is pretty neat.  I did also find a jumper from the guy's brother but I left that to get later he did not show up on Ancestory's navy records so I think he must have served post war. 

donation2019.gif

Nice find--- I like the dog tag 

In Memory of Air Corps Technical Sergeant Carl F. Durfee. He died of wounds on 30 December 1944 while serving in the South Pacific. You are not forgotten.

ASMIC member

American Legion member

US Air Force & Air National Guard TAC - MAC

JOHN N. DANIELS ---152nd COMPANY C New York State Infantry--- captured 1864 survivor of Andersonville ---- Great-Great-Great Uncle

Captain Robert L. Hosler, 522nd Fighter/Bomber Sq. 12th Army Air Corp. World War Two P47 Pilot - 1 DFC- 5 Air Medal & 0ne Purple Heart---Uncle

1st Sgt Ann Barry, US Army Air Corp WAC World War Two --ETO --- Aunt

Sgt Willam M. Barry, USMC----Pacific World War Two--Father

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

On 8/19/2020 at 12:41 AM, huntssurplus said:

Nice little group! Always love to find local items! Can you post the USS Texas uniform too? does it have insignia or is it just blank? 

Hunt

Here are the pictures of the uniform, it isn't eye candy but has some neat history there even if he wasn't on the ship long. I also included a picture of the post-it note that used to track his transfers, I could not find any records of him on Ancestry after being transferred to the hospital and Naval District so I assume he either left the service or stayed there for the rest of the war or something similar.  

9 hours ago, 1st Sgt CES said:

Nice find--- I like the dog tag 

Thank you, this is actually the first pair of ww2 era dog tags that I have been lucky enough to add to my collection so I am happy to have found them to add a name to the group and tie together what would probably have otherwise seemed a random collection of ribbons and pins. 

USS Texas Jumper1.2.png

USS Texas Jumper1.png

USS TEXAS.png

donation2019.gif

It's better then nothing! Is that just the photo, or is the tag actually that orange!?

Hunt

I am an amateur collector of US military items of the 20th century.

Looking for items related to:

-The Aleutian Island Campaign of WW2, Alaskan Theater, Alaska Defense Command, and more specifically the Battle of Attu

-Items related to the 50th Combat Engineer Regiment/Battalion

-Items related to Wheelus Air Force Base Libya, particularly from 1957-1960

-WW2 items belonging to service members from Northern Virginia

-WW2 Uniforms (all branches and services)

-Cheap/Throwaway WW2 named uniforms

-Smaller WW2 Groupings

-7th Infantry Division Items

-WW2 Photos and Letters (all branches, theaters, services, etc)

^^ PM ME!!

Instagram: @surplus_central https://instagram.com/surplus_central/

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/giovachm

It is certainly  better then nothing and I am pretty pleased with it especially compared to my track record with navy jumpers... but now that I am looking at my written records on him I think I either wrote the wrong brother's name down in my notes or bought the wrong brother's uniform. I will have to double check Ancestry to clear that up. 

donation2019.gif

• 3 months later...

I think I was finally able to identify the officer who owned these insignia, and to my surprise and somewhat disappointment he was not a West Virginian after all. I found a 2nd Lt. Ric*hard Hold*en from NY who served in Company D of the 105th Infantry in 1940.  The ribbon bar seems to corroborate this because it has the proper campaign credits for the 105th and lacks the Philippines Liberation ribbon. The only apparent problems with this ID is that after a brutal banzai attack on Saipan Wikipedia says that there was only one surviving officer from 1st BN, so either he was transferred out of D Co. or I have the wrong man. It also seems strange, although not impossible that he would have an occupation ribbon because the 27th Div spent so little time in Japan after the war.

donation2019.gif