Stenciling of USMC Chevrons on Utilities

Brig

I was wondering if anyone can tell us about the practice of stenciling chevrons onto utility sleeves in WWII and later? I understand that stencil kits were sold for the purpose in the early 1950s, but also that wartime pieces exist. I myself have a Corporal P-41 jacket that I'm sure and have been told is original (attic found) but am wondering what era it would have been worn.

craig_pickrall

There are many pics from WW2 showing what looks to be free hand painted chevrons.

I have never seen any info on a stencil kit from that period but that is no reason to suspect they don't exist. During that era stencil kits were usually made from thin brass sheets or there was also what was called stencil paper. The paper was a solid fibre sheet with a smooth finish and the ones I have seen were usually a medium brown shade. These could have been used because of the critical brass shortage. They would not survive very well however.

In the late 40's and early 50's stencil kits were advertised in Leatherneck Magazine for individual purchase. They appeared to be cast metal or aluminum. I have never handled a set of these and just remember the ad from when I was a kid.

Although as stated, rank chevrons were sometimes seen on utility uniforms in WW2, it was not the rule and very rarely seen in combat areas of the Pacific for obvious reasons. I have also seen the green on khaki stripes sewn on the P41 HBT's, but again this was rare. By far, most of the P41 HBT jackets seen today with stenciled stripes date from the late 40's on and most of the jackets will have the green sewing thread as opposed to the khaki.

craig_pickrall

That looks like the kit I remember from Leatherneck. I'm surprised it is plastic rather that some sort of metal.

• 2 years later...

I've got my thread bear P41 Utility Jacket issued to my dad in 1952. I'm amazed at how slim he was. It appears he has hand drawn sgt stripes on the sleeves. I'm about to order a repro of the jacket for myself in my size and would like to duplicate the stripes. What kind of marking ink should I get?

Thanks

Misanthropic_Gods

Post war and Korea for sure, here is a picture of my Grandmothers first husbands P-41 shirt with hand drawn corporal ranks.

His M-41 HBT shirt with hand drawn corporal ranks and stenciled name

post-96964-0-11344300-1421374884.jpg