Dog Tag real or fake ?

WwiiVet

Some clearer pictures would be better.. but it looks fine to me. Others might chime in that have been collecting far longer than me.

I thought that a dented/dimple looking hole was a repro. Also considering the fresh scratches around the hole these look like the kind of scratches you see on repro tags. Look here a repro tag with my name on it next to an original.

20200817_224756.jpg

This dog tag looks like a nice worn genuine tag to me. Is there something special about the soldier it belonged to that would make it worth faking? And the scratching doesn't say much because it depends on the material and the light. You would probably have to see it in person to see if the surface has that modern frosty look to it. But it looks old to me.

Ageing a dog tag isnt hard at all. It also could be a 10/20 year old tag set worn by family members or the soldier himself. If you leave a tag set in a moistured place it will start to look like that as well. Its a 82nd airborne DDAY dog tag. To me the dog tag hole doesnt look rolled and looks like it just sticks out and the dented hole gives me a replica vibe.

Saw this recently a faked normandy dog tag from a KIA soldier. You see that dented hole looks the same ? The original tags seem to have a flat hole.

iaSiPDZ.jpg

This is the 82nd tag closeup hole. Dont you think it looks similar and the kind of metal also looks the same as the repro one. Also the metal in that closeup doesnt really look heavily used like the original ill add the second picture again from a original tag and fake tag hole next to eachother.

Screenshot_20200817-172932_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200817-184917_Gallery.jpg

Ok. Being an Airborne D-Day tag, there is a greater chance of it being a fake. Of course you can age a dog tag, but this one looks like it has normal wear and aging. Of course you can fake that too, but it looks good to me. Concerning the hole, I can‘t say anything about that. I‘ll have to check some more dog tags and see.

Yes the hole really is a weird thing that is nowhere to be seen on originals and only on repros. Wear looks normal yes but I see no wear scratches like on the original tags. My guess is since the seller told me he got it from the faily that they replicated his set and that either the family or veteran wore it some time which causes to give a worn look. Id like to hear more opinions from dog tag collectors

If you are that concerned I would pass. The last tag I got I thought there’s a chance that it could be a fake but when I got it in hand I felt more comfortable. And Veterans sometimes had tags remade at reunions or ordered them. My dad did that through the American Legion Magazine years ago.

Here's what I know. First I'll show a dog tag that was made in Normandy with my name on it. The blank is repro. Whenever I see something like this I'll pass up on it.

577909783_SAM_0213(2).JPG.a13ce73bc22e89c848e23f8cb777f18b.JPG

SAM_0201.JPG.5d89409cd401fe5ee4489151d7d526c7.JPG

Next are some real ones to compare.SAM_0211.JPG.6a300c6d83fa788eac4ed8afe05a2a42.JPGSAM_0206.JPG.f7449512cf1977008aebb608e11aaf49.JPG

Rene

8 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Here's what I know. First I'll show a dog tag that was made in Normandy with my name on it. The blank is repro. Whenever I see something like this I'll pass up on it.

577909783_SAM_0213(2).JPG.a13ce73bc22e89c848e23f8cb777f18b.JPG

SAM_0201.JPG.5d89409cd401fe5ee4489151d7d526c7.JPG

Next are some real ones to compare.SAM_0211.JPG.6a300c6d83fa788eac4ed8afe05a2a42.JPGSAM_0206.JPG.f7449512cf1977008aebb608e11aaf49.JPG

Rene

Perfect example of a repo with a solid history of the person who had it made!!!!!!! Cheers