Headset/throat mic connections

AZPhil

3 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Maybe so, but the headsets they wore did not block outside noise. There was no escaping the engine noise or the MGs when they were fired. Hearing loss, in later years, was very common.

Exactly my point. Then why would I want unimportant talk and gun and aircraft noise amplified constantly from 9 other locations in the plane as well as any local sound that comes in around my ear cups? PTT limits the amount of CONTINUAL noise being transmitted regardless of how efficient a headset is. Without interphone PTT you would be listening to open, live mics from 10 locations non-stop.  Today in general aviation we have VOX(voice activated transmission) for intercom but also PTT for transmitting outside your own aircraft. Without VOX or PTT to open the mic we would be breathing and coughing in each others ears and transmitting engine and wind noise non-stop. If you've ever heard "you have an open mic" that's exactly what that is. It's annoying as crap.

• 6 months later...
On 7/28/2021 at 2:46 PM, dmar836 said:

Reading through this again, I hope I wasn't sounding like a know-it-all.

Dave

Gee Dave, As best as I understand it, it's not possible to get too much information.  More is always better.