Headset/throat mic connections

AZPhil

Hello All,

As I look at my display, I started to wonder where the throat mic and flight helmet headset hooked up to???

Is there a name or nomenclature of the Comm connection/Jack??

Maybe this is something I'll need to add.

Semper Fi

Phil

pararaftanr2

When in the aircraft, the leads would be connected via an extension cable to a jack box mounted on the wall of the aircraft. The boxes were installed at all the crew locations. Assuming your mannequins represent the airmen when outside of the aircraft, on the ground, the cords from the headset and mic would not be connected to anything, just hanging loose.

DSCN8960_1024x1024.jpg

4217712076_b98f9868fc_o.jpg

Phil

years ago I got all was needed to have a waist gunner 100% complete, just passed the thing to my brother who went farther in getting the accessories normally found at crews' stations. He got a FADA BC-366 jack box, + a Type Q-1B rheostat for clothing heating, + an A-12 oxygen diluter-regulator w/ extension hose, + the two oxygen instruments (oxy. pressure, + 'blinker') in order to re-create the whole station and place it near to mannequinn.

The station itself is still under work (not easy to have it made under guidance from vintage photos), however some shots he did back the to the gunner  -  at least the two cables from earphones and micrphone are visible, still absent the extension hose to the wall-mounted A-12 regulator. He has moved recently and do not know whether the thing can be called completed  -     hopefully will have some pics available shortly and will sent you.

Here some shots of the display without the panel-mounted accessories:

2111995111_11-Copia(2).jpg.d01cf282de731173e59f8b52f672bd4f.jpg

12.jpg.6e22d16595fcc66d94ada1e8b0892925.jpg

20180812_162408.jpg.799a46a1cc9dee61ce206d4f23b5b5b4.jpg

2017416703_20180812_163130-Copia.jpg.d9f73e4b08be488969b128c1afea4e89.jpg

Here the oxy. hose is connected the normal way it would be during the mission when the gunner is at his station  -   unclipped from the portable bottle and connected to station's extension hose.

20180813_185831.jpg.78aecc3e79d6c0f7f6d5ccca43699cd7.jpg

Thanks Gent's.

What I'm asking about is that black junction box that is hanging on the neck by a lanyard on BBG's excellent display. The one the mask and throat mic are attached to.

OUTSTANDING Display BBG, I hope the Brother loves it! I know I do!

Is there a nomenclature for the black communication block?

Is that a part of the aircraft wiring?

Thanks Phantomfixer for the Comm box link.. I might need one later on with this journey I'm on!!!! 

Semper Fi

Phil 

Thanx Phil for appreciating...  will tell to my brother 🙂  😉

Yes that device is the SW-141-V push-to-talk comm. setup, and should be (IMO) part of aviator's equipment. There is one for sale on eBay a very good one (minus lanyard)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Army-Air-Corps-Push-to-Talk-hand-set-100-original-SW-141-V-/303400733659

phantomfixer

here is a question for the comm guys...was the 141 PTT part of the aircrew equipment or part of the aircraft equipment list?   seems to me the switch would stay with the aircraft...not to open a can of worms...

pararaftanr2

I could be wrong, but I don't think the SW-141 PTT switch was aviation equipment. I've seen vintage photos showing it used in armored vehicles, but has anyone seen a vintage photo of it used by aircrew? To date, I have not.

44HelmetSW141InUse300x300.jpg

In fact, the same for me if talking about photo evidence.

Seen it depicted in a few drawings of bombers' crews (old 'Elite Series' much time ago, but could be wrong  -  do not have those books with me anymore) and on at least one mannequinn in a museum here in Europe. Cord's lenght (almost 2 meters fully elongated) would allow comfortably for its usage at one crew's station inside a large airplane, when moving around in standing posture. 

Of course, not a 100% proof   -  seeing it in those instances seemed a (relatively) good tip.

phantomfixer

clearly these are staged photos, but show what appears to be the 141 PTT switch attached, not around the neck, but dangling...unless the gunner stations were hot mic all the time, it would make sense to have some form of PTT switch...I have never seen a photo where the 141 was attached to a crewman in a crew photo prior to or post mission

images (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

pararaftanr2

Agreed, they are both clearly staged and taken on the ground, as witnessed by the lack of oxygen masks and gloves on all but one man. I don't know about the .50 cal. mounts, but in the Navy .30 cal. mounts, for example, a PTT switch was mounted atop one of the spade grips.

...it would seem more or less to be our switch box...   not too much definition but, in first photo if magnified it looks like PTT box is seen rather from its narrower side  -   and upside down, w/ carrying 'ring' below.  No neck lanyard, and (at least, the visible portion) no coils in the longer cord.

As for carrying it, yes it would make more sense having the PTT box left in the airplane.

Great information and thoughts.

So this PTT harness would plug into the Jack box, Correct??  

I now have SW-141 switch saved!!! Thanks BBG!!

Semper Fi

While there are a lot of things in the "kit" of a gunner, I think it can easily be overdone. This was discussed some time ago but some displays look to me like a magnet that attracted every conceivable option all in one place - not too realistic IMO.

If you look at the above group photos most guys are not wearing comm gear, all the safety gear, etc. Usually they are either in position and all hooked up or walking around with a gear bag. 

Just an opinion.

Dave

4 hours ago, AZPhil said:

Great information and thoughts.

So this PTT harness would plug into the Jack box, Correct??  

I now have SW-141 switch saved!!! Thanks BBG!!

Semper Fi

Assuming the above b/w photos   - although staged -  do represent it realistic as for what the use of SW-141 could be by gunners, it looks like a neck lanyard wasn't always needed? In short (IMO),  we have that guy posing without a flight helmet, oxy. mask, gloves and heavier clothings; but there are in evidence the two distinct comm. cables   -   from the headphones, and from the throat mic via the PTT.

Yes it would plug into the BC-366 box, at 'MIC'.

phantomfixer

a quick google on AAF gunners and many pics, most staged, will come up, and many with what appears to be the 141 PTT...even staged, there are enough photos of the switch in use on aircraft....

pararaftanr2
1 hour ago, phantomfixer said:

a quick google on AAF gunners and many pics, most staged, will come up, and many with what appears to be the 141 PTT...even staged, there are enough photos of the switch in use on aircraft....

After your post, I just did the Google search you recommended for, "AAF gunners". Saw the two images you posted earlier, but none others that show the switch in question?

Here are just a couple of the results........but no switches in sight I can see.

B-24_waist_gunners.jpg

gunner-safety-strap.jpg

sounds like my brother's guy has stirred up an interesting PTT topic...  🙂  One thing for sure  -   all great b/w pics, and Paul's last gunner with that A-3 safety belt is quite noteworthy.

pararaftanr2

Back in olden times......circa 1989 when I was collecting USAAF, I had one of those switches on by bomber navigator mannequin (in his right hand in photo below). Since then, I haven't seen any real evidence they were in common use, so would like to know for sure, that's all.

scan0020a.jpg

phantomfixer

I appreciate the fact check...I guess I could have grabbed a few more but I thought two would be enough...to show evidence of use...on WWII aircraft, in conjunction with tanks

I can't say how common they were, but they were used (would a gunner or photographer say, hey let me plug in this switch, that we never use) based on at least two period pics that I grabbed from the net doing a search...

common...uncommon...the point that I was trying to convey is that staged picture or not, the switch was also used on WWII aircraft 

pararaftanr2

Good eye, but sorry, no. All the USAAF gear is long gone. That was my first set, in the enlisted lighter shade OD with white fleece collar. Later, I had a complete set of the darker OD, but it never made it on a mannequin. That set , along with the gloves, felt boots, oxygen mask heater, heated goggle lens and rheostat all went to a Forum member in 2014.

scan0021a.jpg

IMG_3440.JPG