Storing clothing in bags

avigo

Is it safe to store clothing, blankets, etc. in a sealed bag or bin with some silica packs? Just worried about moisture, but I need to seal them because I have some items with mold. Thanks

I'm no expert, but I don't see the harm. The first thing you may want to do though is get a dehumidifier in the room where you are having the issues. If you don't change the environment you might just be trapping moisture in the bags, especially if they are not 100% airtight. Several years ago I had a problem with mold on some clothing and cheap leather items in my basement (thankfully before I started collecting). I got a dehumidifier in there year round and never had a problem after that.

20 minutes ago, JasonT said:

I'm no expert, but I don't see the harm. The first thing you may want to do though is get a dehumidifier in the room where you are having the issues. If you don't change the environment you might just be trapping moisture in the bags, especially if they are not 100% airtight. Several years ago I had a problem with mold on some clothing and cheap leather items in my basement (thankfully before I started collecting). I got a dehumidifier in there year round and never had a problem after that.

Yeah, I have a dehumidifier and keep our place under 50% all year. We're having health issues that make us suspect mold. No visible mold or anything at this point. Just trying to be proactive. Thanks!

If you keep it at 50% or lower you should be okay. If you are having health problems and suspect mold I would have a remediation company come to the house and do some air tests. They sell do it yourself tests as well, but I don't know how good or reliable they are. We suspected the same once with my wife's health. Nothing was visible, but you never know what is lurking in the walls if you have water penetration on the outside. It turned out the air was good and there was no high concentration of mold (technically there is mold spores everywhere inside and outside but its the type and how much that makes it a problem). We were at least able to cross it off the list. 

1 hour ago, JasonT said:

If you keep it at 50% or lower you should be okay. If you are having health problems and suspect mold I would have a remediation company come to the house and do some air tests. They sell do it yourself tests as well, but I don't know how good or reliable they are. We suspected the same once with my wife's health. Nothing was visible, but you never know what is lurking in the walls if you have water penetration on the outside. It turned out the air was good and there was no high concentration of mold (technically there is mold spores everywhere inside and outside but its the type and how much that makes it a problem). We were at least able to cross it off the list. 

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your wife. I've been on a long journey trying to find answers too. Hoping this is either the issue or I can check it off the list too.

• 2 months later...

Possibly depends on the bag or bin, from what I've heard plastic and cardboard boxes can cause yellowing, but only in the very long run. 

Your best bet is a wedding dress or archival box and acid free paper to store valuable clothing. 

• 6 months later...
albatrosdva

I second the archival box. Those close up but are made to allow the items inside to breath some. Sealing clothing up completely can cause the clothing to dry rot.