1935 tagged US Army coat. What model?

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Saw this coat in a local antique store. Quartermaster tag is dated 1935.

What model would this be? And it's really nice. looks a lot warmer than a regular field jacket. Would this.. OR I just I should ask, Could this have been worn into WW2?  

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

I think this is a first pattern Mackinaw, made them in Wool at first before going with the more familiar Fabric with Wool collar type. It looks similar in cut to the Officers type, but those were made not made in Course Wool as seen here, but with fine Moleskin cloth and had fancier buttons.

Here's one image I found of the Wool one like yours.

7d7.jpg

Found another one of this type on the Forum, no definite ID is given for it, just the questioned asked and the reply of it either a Mackinaw or a M-1926 Officers Short Overcoat, which its neither, it is however we found just like the WWI Mac, the 1935 date? Maybe just a Spec Update???

image.png.3143af3e9e8902af8675cf664ee08c19.png

The WWI one, it differs outwardly only by having Cuff straps,, larher patch pockets on the skirt, slightly different buttons, and slightly different belt.

Screenshot_2020-08-17 WW1 US Army MACKINAW COAT - Nice size 40 Shawl Collar Wool Overcoat WWI #1895933103.png

Screenshot_2020-08-17 WW1 US Army MACKINAW COAT - Nice size 40 Shawl Collar Wool Overcoat WWI #1895933103(1).png

Here's more WWI Macs, should of remembered that member world war I nerd would of made a lenghty dedicated topic on the type, but I forgot laugh.png.719231d21def80799b0aba5a4c397f7b.png

• 2 months later...

Here's an old OD Wool one actually in use, on his it has the cuff tabs. Belgium, a 99th Div GI, right before the Battle of the Bulge November-December 1944.

image.png.af69723eff6aaed7c3f153b17f9bb148.png

• 5 months later...

The Mackinaw is a Civilian Conservation Corps coat, as indicated by the ECW ( Emergency Conservation Work). ECF, ECW, CCC and CIV appear on QM produced goods for the CCC depending in the date of manufacture.

13 hours ago, Phil N. said:

The Mackinaw is a Civilian Conservation Corps coat, as indicated by the ECW ( Emergency Conservation Work). ECF, ECW, CCC and CIV appear on QM produced goods for the CCC depending in the date of manufacture.

Thanks Phil, would this CCC coat be worn during WWII by some, as we do see that Checkerboard Division GI wearing one,, and in late 1944, like these wool ones just made it into the army's supply system, you know seeing they are perfectly fine, and compatible for field service and wear.

huntssurplus
2 hours ago, patches said:

Thanks Phil, would this CCC coat be worn during WWII by some, as we do see that Checkerboard Division GI wearing one,, and in late 1944, like these wool ones just made it into the army's supply system, you know seeing they are perfectly fine, and compatible for field service and wear.

I second asking this question. In the picture patches posted im guessing it is a WW1 coat as it has the cuff tabs? Seems possible WW1 coats would have been issued around that time as the Army was strapped for winter clothing. I do wonder though if the military even had access to leftover CCC clothing as thought it was involved in it, the CCC was under the departments of the Interior and Agriculture. Anyone know what happened to surplus CCC gear? Was it sold by the government at the end of the program, did it sit in a warehouse? I'm guessing the same thing happened to it as what happened to surplus military gear.

The QM recieved all surplus CCC items. Siemens clothing was used at Internment camps, State Defense Firces and POW camps. OD items like shirts, trousers and coats very likely were reissued if serviceable to Army troops. There is one account that a CCC man was issued the same canteen he used in the CCC.

huntssurplus
The QM recieved all surplus CCC items. Siemens clothing was used at Internment camps, State Defense Firces and POW camps. OD items like shirts, trousers and coats very likely were reissued if serviceable to Army troops. There is one account that a CCC man was issued the same canteen he used in the CCC.

Thanks for the info! Guess that’s a whole other rabbit hole of collecting I need to start looking down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk