Atom Struck Tile-Sairenji Temple Hiroshima

Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88

In memory of the end of the War in the Pacific, and WW2 in general, I present images of an Atom Struck Tile from the Sairenji Temple in Hiroshima.  I have had this tile for 20+ years as it was given to me by my great-uncle M/Sgt Johnnie M O B L E Y.  Many items in my collection were given to me by him and he is the one that got me started collecting.  Many items can be found in my other thread under Displays.

This tile was presented to people who helped rebuild the Temple after the War.  I Googled the Temple name and came across images of other tiles presented as well as an explanation of the tile.  I am not sure how many are still in existence but some have been auctioned off and others are in museums.  I am not sure when my uncle received the tile but he was in Japan after the War and served in Japan during the Korean War.  In addition to this tile I have many original photos of post-War Japan as well as the direct impact of radiation burns on people.

IMG_3279.JPG.1df185de010478f36e5ce9579041b891.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG.7b25b6a32a30bc4d6659acd298146d04.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG.bedf3e55b891a4fb596ae7d5e40bb696.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar tile given to a Sergeant who was in Japan waiting to go to Korea in 1950/1951..he was also given a small booklet to go with it.

Mark sends

• 3 years later...

My great aunt received this from Rev. Katsuki during a 1950 visit to Hiroshima. She was preparing to leave the country after teaching two years at the US DoD high school in Yokohama.

IMG_7478.jpeg.b1b84b0f8aa84f4c760f934384385bc3.jpeg